Of 2,000 25-34s surveyed 19 per cent own a greenhouse and 29 per cent have bought plants in the last year.
Some 29 per cent of respondents said they spend on their gardens because they love gardening, 24 per cent because they like outdoor entertaining and 14 per cent to increase property values.
Other findings include:
- 34 per cent are spending more to improve their outdoor spaces
- 33 per cent say they spend more than five years ago
- 81 per cent of homeowners own outdoor furniture, 49 per cent BBQs, 37 per cent bikes and 10 per cent trampolines.
- 37 per cent have no lock for their garden
- 24 per cent of outdoor items are not insured.