The red, green and gold pavilion in a Chinese-style was the inspiration of landscape gardener Humphry Repton and sits on top of the attractive rockery in the gardens of Woburn Abbey.
In 1802 Repton was commissioned to produce designs for enhancing the gardens and deer park and create interest for visitors.
The rockery and pavilion together were one part of Repton’s plan for formal ‘Pleasure Grounds’ at Woburn Abbey and until this year the rockery stood uncompleted.
For the past seven years the family and the estates gardens manager Martin Towsey and his team have been working to restore Repton’s original plans, which have also included an aviary and Children’s Garden.
In 2009 the Abbey Gardens team began restoring the rockery, which had suffered badly from weather over the years and was overgrown with trees, with the ultimate goal of recreating Repton’s original illustration.
In 2011 F Martin Ltd were commissioned to build the pavilion and together with the Abbey Gardens team constructed it on top of the rockery.
It took four weeks to build and a week to construct on site. The entire project was successfully completed this summer and officially opened by Her Grace the Duchess of Bedford at the Woburn Abbey Garden Show.