As Grower was going to press, a group of top sparkling wine producers from England were heading out to Verona, Italy, to present their range of wines to show visitors as part of the tasting events due to take place alongside the wine fair.
The trade visit was encouraged and implemented by Italian wine magazine Euposia, which organises the international sparkling wine competition Bollicine del Mondo.
For the past three years, English sparkling wines have gained some of the highest marks of all the wines tasted, putting England firmly on the international map for sparkling wines.
English Wine Producers representative Julia Trustram Eve commented: "This is a first for English sparkling wine - to have an opportunity to showcase some of our top wines to a truly international audience. "
She added: "This is a start to seeking a higher profile abroad for our wines."
The delegation attending the event from England was set to comprise:
- Bob Lindo of Camel Valley Vineyard in Cornwall, whose wines have won a trophy each year for the past three years in Bollicine del Mondo.
- Samantha Linter of Bolney Wine Estate in West Sussex.
- Andrew Weeber of Gusbourne Estate in Kent.
- Vicky Ash of Hush Heath Estate in Kent.
- Representatives from Ridgeview Wine Estate in Sussex.
- Representatives from Denbies Wine Estate in Surrey.