Chancellor George Osborne is due to outline the Government's comprehensive spending review on 20 October. Departments have been told to expect cuts of 25-40 per cent as the Government sets about balancing Britain's £155bn budget deficit.
Many of the 177 bodies on the list of quangos to be abolished or merged are under Defra's care:
- Pesticides advisory committee
- Advisory committee on organic standards
- Agricultural Wages Board
- Agricultural Wages committee
- British Waterways
- Food from Britain
- Regional development agencies
- Thurrock Thames Gateway Development Corporation
- Agriculture & Horticulture Development Board.