Salt, shovels and sledges top winter sellers at B&Q and Dobbies

Salt, shovels and sledges are flying out of garden centre doors as the cold snap continues.

Sales of rock salt soared 900% on the previous week at B&Q, which was a 75% increase on the peak week last year.

Meanwhile, B&Q sales of shovels were up 50% and sales of Wellington boots up 33% week-on-week.

Sales of sledges rose 1,000% at Dobbies Garden Centres at Christmas thanks to the snowfall.

The firm announced its strongest Christmas period ever, with online sales almost doubling, although full trading figures will not be released until the last week of January. Dobbies had two million customers this Christmas. Bestsellers at www.dobbies.com, where sales almost doubled on 2008, were real and artificial Christmas trees, children's board games and Christmas food hampers.

The Met Office winter forecast predicts: "For the rest of winter, over northern Europe including the UK, the chance of colder-than-average conditions is now 45%; there is a 30% chance of average and a 25% chance of milder-than-average conditions.

It added: "There is a 30% chance of a drier-than-average winter, a 35% chance of an average winter and a 35% chance of a wetter winter.

 

Subscribe to Horticulture Week for more news, more in-depth features and more technical and market info.


Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus

Read These Next

Garden centre profile: Hulme Community Garden Centre, Manchester

Garden centre profile: Hulme Community Garden Centre, Manchester

High environmental standards, community work and support for local suppliers are all lessons for the wider garden retail industry, Matthew Appleby discovers.

How can garden centres reduce plastic use?

How can garden centres reduce plastic use?

Garden retailers are under pressure to use less plastic as the Government's new 25-year environment plan seeks to introduce a wave of measures to reduce pollution.

Will peat use be taxed or banned?

Will peat use be taxed or banned?

The Government has made strong statements on peat reduction in its new 25-year environment plan, published in January.


Follow us on:
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • Google +
Horticulture Jobs
More Horticulture Jobs

Horticulture Week Top 100 GARDEN CENTRES 2017

See our exclusive ranking of garden centre performance by annual turnover. 

Garden Centre Prices

Peter Seabrook

Inspiration and insight from travels around the horticultural world
 

Read more Peter Seabrook articles

Neville Stein

Business advice from Neville Stein, MD of business consultancy Ovation
 

Read latest articles