Compost featured more strongly in the top 20 than in 2009. But vegetable plants dropped out because of dry weather and a loss of heat in the grow-your-own market.
Fears of a double-dip recession were shown by £25 National Garden Gift Vouchers (NGGV) slipping a place, with furniture also falling.
GARDEN CENTRE SALES: TOP TENS
1. NGGV (£10) NGGV (£10)
2. Bedding six-pack Bedding pack
3. Perennials standard range 3l NGGV (£25)
4. NGGV (£25) Perennial standard range 3l
5. Tomorite one litre Perennial three litre standard
6. Westland multipurpose 50 litre Tomorite one litre
7. Jumbo bedding pot 13cm Hydrangea
8. Loose wild bird mix Impatiens New Guinea
9. Hydrangea Roma Hammock
10. Tobago furniture set One Touch Gold Black 57cm