The 67 finalists in the RHS Britain in Bloom awards 2010 will compete across 13 categories.
RHS community horticulture manager Stephanie Eynon said:"Britain in Bloom was started in 1964 by the tourist board as a way of marketing the country and so the emphasis was on making towns and villages look as attractive as possible through the inclusion of hanging baskets, bedding plants and floral displays.
"Britain in Bloom has come a long way since then. The RHS took over the competition in 2002 and since then we have continued the development of the campaign to place increasing emphasis on involving the community and caring for the environment."
RHS judges will visit each community over 2 weeks in August to scrutinise the entries and prepare advice to help each community improve in the future.
RHS Britain in Bloom Finalists 2010:
- Champion of Champions: Falkland, Grouville, Harrogate, Pitlochry
- Large City: Bristol, Leeds, Sunderland
- City: Aberdeen, Solihull, Tameside, Northampton, London Borough of Islington
- Urban Community: Beighton (Sheffield),Didsbury (Manchester), Dyce (Aberdeen), Eston (Middlesbrough), Moor (Oxmoor), Port Marine &Village Quarter (Portishead), Spondon (Derby), Walthamstow Village (London), Moseley (Birmingham)
- Large Town/Small City (35,000 - 100,000): Crawley, Derry City, Fareham, Bedford, Whitehaven
- Large Town/Small City (12,000 - 35,000): Bicester, Bury St Edmunds, Coleraine, Colwyn Bay, Perth, Durham
- Coastal (12,000 and above): Bangor, Scarborough
- Coastal (12,000 and below): Hunstanton, Lytham, Tenby, St Ives & Carbis Bay, Mablethorpe, Grange-Over-Sands, North Berwick
- Town: City of London, Cupar, Douglas, Halstead, St Saviour, Wetherby
- Small Town: Ahoghill, Cricklade, Garstang, Hunmanby, Keswick, Long Sutton, Sedgefield
- Large Village: Wedmore, Cayton, Cornrie, Market Bosworth, St Pierre du Bois, Tatsfield, Woolton
- Village: Bulphan, Muthill, Norton, Scarva
- Small Village: Stanghow, Wolfscastle
Subscribe to Horticulture Week for more news, more in-depth features and more technical and market info.