The RHS has rewarded horticultural excellence and personal endeavour at an event at RHS Lindley hall in London.
Downderry Nursery took four awards (more details in HW 26 April), while Nigel Colborn and Brian Humphrey won the highest RHS award, the VMH.
Charles Valin,Thompson & Morgan’s plant breeder won the 2013 Reginald Cory Memorial Cup. This award is given to encourage and reward the production of new garden hardy hybrids.
Since 2005 it has been presented to a plant breeder whose work in the hybridisation of a particular species has resulted in the introduction and general availability of exciting new hardy hybrid varieties.
Valin has created the foxglove, ‘Illumination Pink’, which won the 2012 RHS Chelsea Flower Show Plant of the Year award. ‘Chelsea Gold’ will launch this year. Buddleja, ‘Buzz, is another Valin plant, and he was the first breeder to create an F1 hybrid laurentia and is also well-known for his work with hollyhocks, hellebores, fuchsias and begonias.
T&M MD Paul Hansord said: "We are very proud of Charles’ and pleased that his work has been recognised by the RHS."
- Young school garden of the year was Lucas Hatch.
- Master of Horticulture awards went to John Moore from Churchill College, Nick Lightfoot from National Trust The Vyne and Tanya Silverton from Wellington College.
- Bursary prizes went to Zdenek Valkoun from Dorothy Clive Garden and Dr Christopher Whitehouse from the RHS.
- EH Trophy: Warmenhoven
- George Moore Medal: Eric Young Orchid Foundation
- Anthony Huxley Trophy: Hampshire Carnivorous Plants.
- Gordon-Lennox Trophy: Medwyn's of Anglesey
- Farrer Trophy: Edrom Nursery.
- Westonbirt Orchid Medal: David Martin for Cymbidium sweet 'Devon Sweet'.
- Peter Barr Memorial Cup: Dr Peter Ramsay.
- Holford Medal: Federation of British Bonsai Societies.
- Reginald Cory Memorial Cup: Charles Valin of Thompson & Morgan.
- Wigan Cup: Birmingham City Council.
- Colin Spires Herb Trophy: Downderry Nursery.
- FE Rivis Prize: Simon Charlesworth of Downderry.
- Williams Memorial Medal: Downderry.
- Lawrence Medal: Downderry.
- Harlow Carr Medal: Dr Hilary Dodson and Alan Foxall.
- Associates of Honour: Andrew Mudge (Cliveden), Bernard Sparkes and Barry Starling.
- Veitch Memorial Medal: Dr Peter Del Tredici, Peter Furness, Dr Keith Hammett, Sue Minter, Dr Alec Pridgeon, Margaret Owen.
- Victoria Medal of Honour: Nigel Colborn
See more in HW 26 April.