A peat-free compost for seeds made from a mix of sheep’s wool and bracken has been launched at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2013 – and shortlisted for the Garden Product of the Year award at the same event.
Wool Compost for Seeds is made by Dalefoot Composts from Cumbria. Sheep farmer Simon Bland and his partner, environmental scientist Dr Jane Barker, developed the compost.
Sheep’s wool has good water retention and is a source of nitrogen. Bracken, an invasive plant, is high in potash and provides a range of health-giving minerals and trace elements.
Bland said: "Since we launched our standard wool compost, it has been a real hit with eco-conscious gardeners and customers have been asking us to create a product suitable for growing seedlings for some time. We experimented with a wide variation of mixes and have now hit on this ideal formula.
"We’re over the moon that our Wool Compost for Seeds has been nominated for the prestigious Garden Product of the Year at the 2013 RHS Chelsea Flower Show. It’s a great start for such a cracker of a compost."
RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2013 Garden Product of the Year shortlist:
• Complete Lawncare System. Prices range from £1,857.99 to £2,406.65, www.allett.co.uk
• Flexi Spray. RRP £25.99, www.hozelock.com
• X Hose by Perennial Gardeners’ Royal Benevolent Society. Prices start from £29.99, www.perennial.org.uk
• Royal Dutch Hoe. RRP £43.95, www.sneeboer.com
• Glass and Aluminium Tall Cloche. Prices start from £99, www.garden-products.co.uk
• Protective Wire Plant Cloche. RRP 29.99, www.crocus.co.uk
• Flexi Compost Aerator by Burgon & Ball. RRP 19.99, www.burgonandball.com
• Wool Compost for Seeds. RRP £5.99, www.dalefootcomposts.co.uk
• Twool Twine. RRP £3.95, www.provenancecompany.co.uk
• Bamboo Gardening Gloves. RRP £4.99, www.townandco.com
• Decorative Planter and Trellis. RRP £400, www.straysparks.co.uk
• Crown Eton Garden Building. RRP £10.995, www.crownpavilions.com
• Chelsea Wind Sculpture. RRP £99.00, www.jonart.co.uk