The new legislation will bring into focus the stewardship of products, helping to ensure the sustainability of pesticides for the future.
The main aim of the legislation is to minimise any risk or impacts from pesticides to both human health and the environment.
Some of the key points from the new legislation include:
National Action Plans
- Training and certification requirements for advisors, distributors and operators
- Provisions to protect water, public spaces and conservation areas, through attention to the frequency, type and amount of pesticides used
- A continued requirement to restrict application to the intended target or target area
- A requirement for all those who purchase professional products to ensure the end user holds a Certificate of Competence
- New obligations for the regular inspection of Plant Protection Product Application Equipment (not hand-held application equipment)