The overall framework of the revised Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) is now largely in place but much of the detail will have to be resolved at UK level by Defra - a task which growers can help direct, according to the NFU.
Its senior CAP Adviser Gail Soutar, who has been party to the protracted negotiations, said: "There will be a new basic payment scheme, a new young farmers’ top up scheme, new environmental rules which will unlock a new 'greening aid' and a whole raft of optional schemes that Defra could choose to implement."
Payment entitlements, a possible new minimum claim size, the status of England’s three different payment regions, and the detail of what greening will entail at farm level, are among the issues up for grabs, she said.
For this reason, the NFU is holding a series of regional meetings over the coming months for members to air their views.
"We also want to make sure NFU members have the opportunity to shape those changes before they come into force in England from January 1 2015," Soutar said.
The following dates and venues have been announced:
- Nottinghamshire - Tuesday July 16, 2pm, Newark Show Ground, NG24 2NY
- Derbyshire - Tuesday July 16, 7.30pm, The Bluebell Inn, Ashbourne, DE6 1NH
- Hampshire - Wednesday July 17, 3pm, Sparsholt College, Winchester, SO21 2NF
- Surrey - Wednesday July 17, 7pm, The Parrot Inn, Forest Green, Dorking, RH5 5RZ
- Essex - Thursday July 18, 8am, Blakes Golf Club, Epping Road, North Weald, Epping, Essex, CM16 6RZ
- Beds, Hunts, Herts, Cambs - Thursday July 18, 12.30pm, Huntingdon NFU Group Office, PE28 2PF
- Norfolk - Thursday July 18, 6pm, Morley Business Centre, Wymondham, NR18 9DF
- Suffolk - Friday July 19, 9.30am, The Cedars Hotel, Needham Road, Stowmarket, IP14 2AJ
- Yorkshire East - Monday July 22, 8am, NFU Regional Office, York, YO24 1UD
- York West Riding - Monday July 22, 7.30pm, Rendezvous Hotel, Skipton, BD23 2TA
- North Riding Durham - Tuesday July 23, 8am, Scotch Corner Hotel, DL10 6NR
- Northumberland - Tuesday July 23, 7.30pm, Kirkley Hall, Ponteland, Kirkley Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE20 0AQ
- Kent - Thursday July 25, 7pm, Great Danes Hotel, Maidstone
- Sussex - Monday July 29, 7pm, Ardingley Centre, Ardingley
- Shropshire - Tuesday July 30, 2pm, NFU regional office, Telford, TF3 4NR
- Staffordshire - Tuesday July 30, 7.30pm, South Staffs College Rodbaston Campus, Penkridge, ST19 5PH
- Warwickshire - Wednesday July 31, 2pm, Jersey pavilion, Stoneleigh Park, Stoneleigh
- Worcs / Hereford - Wednesday July 31, 7.30pm, Hawford YFC Centre, Hawford, WR3 7SG
- Gloucestershire - Thursday August 1, Agriculture House, Sandhurst Road, Gloucester, GL2 9RG
- Cheshire - Thursday August 1, 10am, Heyrose Golf Club, Budworth Road, Tabley, Knutsford, WA16 0HZ
- Lancashire - Thursday August 1, 2pm, Agriculture House, 1 Moss Lane View, Skelmersdale, WN8 9TL
- Cumbria - Thursday August 1, 7.30pm Kendal Auction, J36 Rural Auction Centre, Crooklands, Milnthorpe, LA7 7FP
- Cumbria - Friday August 2, 10am, The Shepherds Inn & Auctioneer, Montgomery Way, Rosehill Estate, Carlisle, CA1 2RR
- Somerset - Tuesday October 8, 1pm, J24, North Petherton TA6 6DF
- Wiltshire - Tuesday October 8 , Stanton Manor, Stanton Saint Quintin, near Chippenham, SN14 6DQ
- Cornwall - Tuesday October 8, 7pm, Trethorne Leisure Farm, Kennards House Launceston, PL15 8QE
- Cornwall - Wednesday October 9, 8am, St Mellion, Saltash
- Devon - Wednesday October 9, 1pm, Regional NFU Office, Exeter
- Dorset - Wednesday October 9, 7.30pm, Kingston Maurward College, Dorchester
- Isle of Wight – Thursday October 10, venue tbc