Trees are HTA Plant of the Month for November.The HTA is promoting trees as best planted in the late autumn, especially bare rooted varieties.
Steve McCurdy of Majestic Trees has recommended the top 10 trees to plant this autumn:
1. Himalyan Birch (Betula utilis var. jacquemontii)
2. Silver Birch (Betula pendula)
3. Snowy Mespilus (Amerlanchier lamarckii)
4. Christmas berry 'Red Robin' (Photinia fraserii ‘Red Robin’)
5. Freeman's Maple (Acer freemanii ‘Autumn Blaze’)
6. English oak (Quercus robur)
7. Pin oak (Quercus palustris)
8. Crab apple (Malus ‘Evereste’)
9. Crab apple (Malus ‘Rudolph’)
10. Vilmorin's mountain ash (Sorbus vilmorinii)
Research in HTA’s Greening the UK campaign has shown that a 10 per cent increase in tree coverage in urban areas will counter the predicted 4°C temperature over the next 100 years caused by climate change and the urban heat island effect.
Plant of the Month point of sale materials can be bought through HTA partners Hortipak and Floramedia.
The 38th annual National Tree Week, which is run by The Tree Council from 23 November - 1 December 2013 and will mark the launch of the tree planting season.