The RHS Chelsea Flower Show best new product award has been won by Hozelock's Flexi Spray, a 4 in 1 garden hose.
Flexi Spray is a multi-purpose watering attachment which can be moulded into an array of shapes. It transforms into a sprinkler and a spray gun which delivers flow control and is designed to reach hanging baskets and can be fixed in position.
Flexi Spray was selected from a shortlist of 13 new gardening products, including the Complete Lawncare System by Allett Mowers, XHOSE the world’s first expanding hose and a compost aerator, twine made by sustainable wool and gardening gloves made from bamboo.
The award was judged by a panel of experts including Dragon’s Den investor Deborah Meaden.
Chairman of the RHS Chelsea Flower Show Garden Product of the Year 2013 award Dougal Philip said: "The judges were faced with an array of amazing products and choosing just one was particularly challenging. Hozelock Flexi Spray nudged ahead of the competition with the judges recognising a British invented and researched garden tool that gardeners across Britain will value and use."
Deborah Meaden said of the winning product "I see lots of good ideas for new products all the time but I have to see something that’s going to make my life easier for it to be really great and I believe that Flexi Spray does just that. I’m forever getting wet when watering plants up high so I’ll definitely be using this in my own garden."
On the shortlist were:
- Burgon & Ball Flexi Compost Aerator - Burgon & Ball
- Chelsea Wind Structure - Jonart DesignCrown Eton - Crown Pavilions
- Provenance Company Twool Twine - The Provenance Company (UK) Limited
- Perennial Flexi Spray - Hozelock Group
- Protective wire plant cloches with a copper rim - Crocus.co.uk
- Wool Compost for seeds - Dalefoot Composts
- X Hose - Perennial, Gardeners’ Royal Benevolent Society
- Decorative Planter and Trellis - Straysparks Creative Metalwork
- Sneeboer Royal Dutch Hoe - Sneeboer Tools
- Town & Country Bamboo Gloves - Town & Country
- Access Tall Cloche - Access Garden Products
- Allett Complete Lawncare System - Allett Mowers
* In a move to get the nation fit and healthy Hozelock has launched its ‘Gardening For Life’ campaign by teaming up with celebrity gardener David Domoney and exercise & health scientist Dr Julie Alexander-Cooper.
Marc Ballu, CEO of Hozelock, said: "This new research proves what we've always suspected: gardening is a great way of keeping fit and active, both physically and mentally. It's great to know a hobby enjoyed by so many millions of Britons is also fantastic for their health and wellbeing.
"Our ‘Gardening For Life’ campaign is all about encouraging people to get outdoors roll up their sleeves and get out into the garden. Over the next few months we’ll be sharing top tips on how to shape up and feel good – for free – this summer."
Domoney added: "There are so many health benefits to be gained from gardening. From losing weight to improving overall levels of wellbeing. For instance, simply watering your garden will aid relaxation, whereas digging the soil releases bacterium which can help boost a person’s immune system and even help ease depression."
"It’s great to be working with Hozelock on such an important health issue and involved in an activity which is close to my heart."