Authors are Tim O'Neil, Mike Lole and Dan Drakes and the factsheet has been updated by O'Neill and Robert Irving, all of ADAS.
Key action points include:
- Disinfection of structures, pot standing areas and equipment should be part of an integrated disease management strategy.
- Before disinfecting a surface, remove peat, plant debris and other organic matter.
- Do not use disinfectant on plants, soil or growing substrates, which is potentially illegal.
- Refer to product label for information on the spectrum of activity.
- Always wear personal protective clothing and equipment.
- Dispose of any waste disinfectant solution with due regard for the environment.
New regulations from 1 September 2013 require new and current disinfectants to be registered as authorised products before they can be marketed.
But transitional arrangements are in place while older products are assessed.