Worcestershire-based Hayloft Plants owner Jarman said: "Commodity prices are down but horticulture is suffering from bad weather and reduced consumer spend. I will ask for a pay freeze." Unite, the NFU and AWB will meet in the week commencing 18 May. Unite has demanded:
- A fair, substantial pay increase that closes the historic gap in pay between agriculture and other sectors of the economy. This should build on past achievements.
- A pension scheme for the sectors covered by the Agricultural Wages Order (AWO).
- An increase in holiday entitlement by one day (standard AWO days increased to four days).
- Premium rate of double time on Sundays (or second day of rest) and bank holidays.
- A substantial rise in the birth or adoption grant for each child.