The campaign has devised a list of the benefits of hedging to help promote them.
The ‘ten reasons to plant a hedge this autumn' focus on what a hedge can provide a gardener:
- A natural boundary that can provide year round structure or seasonal interest
- An effective windbreak, filtering, rather than blocking wind
- A natural air-filter, improving air quality in the garden and home and potentially benefiting health
- A barrier to litter and road noise
- A prickly deterrent to intruders, human or animal - may benefit home insurance premiums
- Habitat for nesting birds and beneficial insects
- A value-for-money, low maintenance alternative to hard fencing and walls
- Shade on hot days
- A garden feature to engage children's interest and offer possibilities for natural play
The campaign suggests providing a give-away advice sheet on how to establish hedging.
Visit the Business Focus section at www.colouryourlife.info for more and to download free POS.
Subscribe to Horticulture Week for more news, more in-depth features and more technical and market info.