There will be a 7% compound annual growth rate from 2017-22 at US$ retail value. The overall garden market is estimated at $86billion global value with 1% annual growth rate.
Gardening per capita spending is:
- North America $100+
- Australasia $80+
- Western Europe $60+
- Eastern Europe $5
- Rest of the world $1
The robotic lawnmower market in 2012 was $200m, in 2018 $800m, and is predicted for 2022 to reach $1bn.
Factors impacting the market include:
- Shifting market frontiers-Africa and Asia 60% global population by 2030 and half global consumer income.
- More people living in cities and generation gap impacting gardening.
- Urban/apartment living rising Western Europe 80/40%.
- Time poor millennials shopping online. Connected consumers include 47% worldwide with access to the internet, 90% to 3G+ network and 49% access to broadband.
- Shopping is being reinvented with Planty smart pots and more competition in smart gardening-Smart Lilo, Aerogarden, Herbie, Veritable and SmartGarden.
- Ethical living-gardening gets greener, sustainability, veganic gardening, anti-plastic (Lovania reduce non-recyclable plastic by 2,000 tonnes), National Trust ‘war’ on plastic, Haxnick/Vipots/Aeroplas products.