Me & My Job - Ian Rotherham, sales director, Green-tech

Ian Rotherham, sales director, Green-tech - image: Green-tech
Ian Rotherham, sales director, Green-tech - image: Green-tech

How did you get started in the industry? I began as an apprentice gardener with Barnsley Council, which at the time had a very good apprentice programme with lots of in-house training as well as day release at a local college. It provided me with a good overall grounding in amenity horticulture. I very nearly left the industry in the early days after being offered an electrical apprenticeship with the NCB, at double my wage. I made the right decision to stay.

What advice would you give to others starting out? Don’t be frightened of starting at the bottom or doing the dirty jobs. In the early days I spent many hours pushing a brush and hand weeding shrub beds. Grab every opportunity to receive training. My parks manager urged me to leave and study at Askham Bryan College — probably the best move I made.

What does your typical day involve? I spend 60 per cent of my time in the office on the administration needed in a fast-moving business. This time of year tends to be spent on figures, working out budgets for next year. The remaining 40 per cent is spent out meeting customers with members of the sales team. Green-tech’s business has changed over the years. Landscaping used to be very quiet in the summer months but it’s fast becoming a year-round industry.

What is the best aspect of your job? I love the team atmosphere at Green-tech and the feeling generally within the industry. After a tough few years during the recession there seems to be the start of an upturn. Enquiries are up from both landscape architects and landscape contractors.

And the worst? Roadworks and traffic hold-ups.


Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in

Read These Next

Quercus

Quercus

Oak trees are iconic, produce spectacular autumn foliage and benefit the natural environment, Sally Drury reports.

Spiraea

Spiraea

With a wide variety in habit, flowers and foliage, these ornamental plants ensure months of enjoyment, says Sally Drury.

Crataegus

Crataegus

These shrubs and trees have for centuries been used as boundaries and are also important for wildlife, Sally Drury finds.


 

Horticulture Week

The latest developments concerning coronavirus for horticulture industry professionals involved in buying or selling garden products and plants or producing and participating in horticultural shows and events.

HW Podcast

Horticulture Week Podcast #2: Peter Seabrook and Matt Appleby

Horticulture Week Podcast #2: Peter Seabrook and Matt Appleby

Peter Seabrook has spent his lockdown rebuilding The Sun's Floral Fantasia display at RHS Hyde Hall. He says garden designers and local authorities should take note that the popular colourful bedding displays have attracted record numbers of visitors to the garden.

Horticulture Week Top 70 Landscape and maintenance contractors

See our exclusive RANKING of landscape and maintenance contractors by annual turnover plus BUSINESS TRENDS REPORT AND ANALYSIS

Horticulture Jobs
More Horticulture Jobs

BUSINESS LEADs

Build your business with the latest public sector tenders covering landscape, arboriculture, grounds care, production and kit supplies. To receive the latest tenders weekly to your inbox sign up for our Tenders Tracker bulletin here.

Are you a landscape supplier?

Horticulture Week Landscape Project Leads

If so, you should be receiving our new service for Horticulture Week subscribers delivering landscape project leads from live, approved, planning applications across the UK.

PLANT SUPPLIERS GUIDE

Free to subscribers, the essential guide for professional plant buyers
 

Download your copy

Products & Kit Resources