Roadside meadows "attract a hundred letters of praise a year"

Urban meadow flower displays in Newport have attracted around a hundred complimentary letters from residents, according to the head of its grounds team.

Euroflor flower meadows alongside the Newport to Cardiff road
Euroflor flower meadows alongside the Newport to Cardiff road

Phillip Evans, supervisor of the street scene city grounds team in the south Wales town, said he and his team of 60 full-time ground maintenance staff and gardeners have been inundated with positive feedback from both residents and neighbouring councils wanting to emulate the colourful floral displays created using Euroflor meadow mixes alongside all the main roads into Newport.

"We have five areas and half a dozen different sites where we have sown the Classic and Rainbow mixes," said Phillip, who has worked for the city council for 25 years.

"Over the last three years we have tried various Euroflor mixes from Rigby Taylor, including perennial, but these two annual mixes have given us consistently good coverage results with cosmos flowers going right into November last year.

"We aim to create a feelgood factor throughout the city and these mixes give us five phases of colour throughout the season."

This year Phillip has added Euroflor Souvenir poppy and cornflower mixes for the commemoration of the start of the First World War.

"We have planted up the Classic mix over 80 per cent of the verges about 10 metres in and the other 20 per cent, closest to the road, will be the Souvenir poppy and cornflower mix," he said.

"We are incredibly proud of the city and it is amazing that the formal bedding areas in the two main parks get about 10 letters of praise a year – while the amenity flower displays get about a hundred."

He says many people call them wildflower areas, but he is quick to point out that the annual flower mixes are not all native and can be found in many gardens.

Each year the roadside areas are cleared and cultivated before sowing takes place in spring.

"We are at the mercy of the wet weather quite often," he said, "but the displays eventually develop to withstand the conditions – and the sustainability is really rewarding."

This year, he added, the wet weather followed by the heat has created ideal conditions for fast grass and weed growth. Mowing has been increased and the street scene team will go round the roadside flower displays to hoe out any weeds before they develop.

Rigby Taylor area technical sales representative Peter Griffiths said: "We are delighted that Phillip and his team have had such great results from our Euroflor mixes.

"The public reaction has been tremendous."


Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus

Read These Next

Dazzling display of new plants at Four Oaks Trade Show 2017

Dazzling display of new plants at Four Oaks Trade Show 2017

A wide range of first-time exhibitors and established names will showcase a wealth of new varieties at September's Four Oaks Trade Show, says Matthew Appleby.

Product and service showcase

Product and service showcase

Fresh solutions to production problems can be found among the array of products and services being introduced at the Four Oaks Trade Show, Sally Drury reports.

Sargent's solutions - the benefits of CPD for your business

Sargent's solutions - the benefits of CPD for your business

Continual learning is an essential part of the job and professionals should embed it in their work process, says Alan Sargent.


 
Horticulture Jobs
More Horticulture Jobs

Industry Data

An exclusive report for HW subscribers revealing the key development trends, clients and locations for 2017.

Are you a landscape supplier?

Horticulture Week Landscape Project Leads

If so, you should be receiving our new service for Horticulture Week subscribers delivering landscape project leads from live, approved, planning applications across the UK.

Landscape Contracts & Tenders

Products & Kit Resources

BALI National Landscape Awards 2016

Read all about the winning projects in the awards, run in association with Horticulture Week.

Noel Farrer

Founding partner of Farrer Huxley Associates Noel Farrer on landscape and green space
 

Read Noel Farrer