Notcutts Garden Centres have cut 20% from the price of wild bird products until 14 November.
The 19-garden centre chain has teamed up with the RSPB to bring top tips for caring for the wild birds this winter:
- Deep cleanse: scrub bird feeders and tables with hot water. Specially-designed long-handled brushes can get into every nook and cranny of feeders.
- Spa waters: water is vital for many kinds of wildlife. Birds need it for drinking and keeping their feathers in tip-top condition.
- Detox: we can get over a binge or two – but for birds, bad food can be a disaster! Avoid feeding birds uncooked rice, chicken fat or bread, but let them feast on health foods such as fruit, nuts, berries and insects.
- Rest and relaxation: birds need to rest and roost in scrub, trees or a bird box. Native plants such as hawthorn, blackthorn or honeysuckle provide them with both cover and food. You can relax too, by not tidying. Allow dead wood to lie and leave spent foliage and seed heads to help insects, amphibians and birds.
- Aromatherapy: perfumed blooms attract insects to their nectar-filled flowers. Plants such as lavender, viburnum, hebe and broom are good choices.