A panel of experts including fresh produce industry representatives selected the ten from among more than 60 submissions from exhibitors. They include:
- Knox from Rijk Zwaan (Netherlands) - a trait bred into lettuce varieties to reduce discoloration after cutting, so extending shelf-life by about two days without the need for low-oxygen packaging.
- Natupol Excel – Bee Vision from Koppert Biological Systems (Netherlands) - a bumblebee hive with navigation aids for the bees, intended to optimise pollination under artificial lighting.
- Sustainable Grow Bag for Tasty Tomatoes from Greenyard Horticulture (Belgium) - a fully compostable growbag filled with 100 per cent organic substrate.
- The SoFruBox System from SoFruPak, Poland - an environmentally friendly packaging system with bottomless trays, for use with individually vented SoFruMiniPak containers to optimise cooling and ventilation.
- The BE-Cube Demountable Pallet Box System from Beekenkamp (Netherlands) - a flexible, space-saving multi-purpose packing system.
- Streamer Automatic Spiralizer from Turatti (Italy) - a spiral cutting machine for high-volume processing of vegetables to produce pasta-like shapes such as spaghetti, tagliatelle, rings and even gnocchi-like cores.
- Yello – The Color of Taste from VIP/VOG (Italy) - a new sweet and crunchy yellow apple, a variety of Shinano Gold which is a Japanese cross between Golden Delicious and Senshu.
- Crisp Fresh Watermelon from Syngenta (France) - a seedless variety intended for fresh-cut processing, with firm, dark red fruit pulp, reduced liquid loss and extended shelf life.
- Mango Peeler & De-Cheeker from ZTI Smart Machines (Netherlands).
- The Cracking Monkey - Pili Nuts from Die Frischebox (Germany) - a pre-germinated nut from the Philippines with high levels of Vitamin E, pre-scored for easy opening with the special stainless steel cracker and sold in environmentally friendly cotton bags.
The winner will be voted for on 8 and 9 February by the more than 70,000 trade visitors from over 130 countries expected at the show, held at the Messe Berlin venue in the German capital, with the winner announced in the afternoon of 10 February, the show's final day.