Spring bedding selling out ahead of summer season
By Jez Abbott Friday, 03 April 2009
Spring bedding is running out in garden centres ahead of the arrival of summer bedding.
This is in contrast to 2008 when "tired" pansies cluttered nurseries and centres well into April. Pansies, primroses, violas and other popular spring bedding plants have sold quickly in the past two weeks.
Essex bedding grower WD Smith & Son director Michael Smith said: "There will be less of an overlap this year. There are not many primroses left in the country. The first summer bedding will be in centres next week and will be from healthier crops with longer shelf-life."
Buckingham Nurseries & Garden Centre plant merchandising manager Chris Day said: "BrilliantGardens.com primroses have been selling extremely well and I suspect they will be sold out by Easter.
"I hope primrose and Polyanthus sales can be maintained - the quality does appear to be better this year.
"I suspect the likes of Senetti, Ranunculus and hardy seasonal lines such as Antirrhinum will begin sooner this year. It means a greater turnover of bedding ranges, which is great news for the retailer.
"Perhaps the grow-your-own ethos is encouraging people to do more pottering than pondering."
HTA retail committee chairman Caroline Owen said: "Bedding sales of Polyanthus, Primula and pansies have been great. If they run out we will struggle for colour before the summer bedding arrives."
www.HorticultureWeek.co.uk/ornamentals for more plant news
Latest stories from Horticulture Week
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- HEAD GARDENER REQUIRED - COTSWOLDS Knight Frank £28,000 - £30,000 no accommodation, Gloucestershire / Cheltenham, Gloucestershire / Northleach, Gloucestershire
- Contract Supervisor Lowther Forestry Group Ltd Attractive salary, vehicle and benefits package, South East England / South West England
- Interior Plant Technician Gavin Jones Ltd Competitive, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Garden Centre Manager MorePeople £30000 - £35000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Shop Manager MorePeople £15000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)