Ball Colegrave buys plug supplier
Thursday, 12 July 2007
Ball Colegrave has bought leading plug producer Findons, based at Bordon Hill Nursery, Stratford-upon-Avon, for an undisclosed sum.
Marketing manager Stuart Lowen said the purchase was part of Ball’s ongoing expansion plans: “[Findons is] our main supplier of plug plants and we’ve been working with it for more than 30 years. ‘We’re looking to strengthen our position in the market and give ourselves more control over the supply chain.” Bordon Hill Nursery has 10ha of production nurseries. General manager Peter Byrne will continue to run the nursery. Owner David Findon will leave the business after 33 years. He said: “The reason for selling is to give longevity to the business. The outlook and strength resulting from this purchase is going to be stronger than the sum of its parts.” Findons was established in 1933 by WJ Findon. Four generations later, the family business annually produces more than 220 million ornamental plants for Ball Colegrave.
Latest stories from Horticulture Week
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Nursery Supervisor Griffin Nurseries 20-25k, Hampshire / Liphook, Hampshire
- HEAD GARDENER REQUIRED - COTSWOLDS Knight Frank £28,000 - £30,000 no accommodation, Gloucestershire / Cheltenham, Gloucestershire / Northleach, Gloucestershire
- Contract Supervisor Lowther Forestry Group Ltd Attractive salary, vehicle and benefits package, South East England / South West England
- Experienced Gardener Wilsons Automobiles £23,400 per annum, (£10.00 per hour), Epsom, Surrey
- Head Gardener for Private Estate pvt estate Negotiable - depending on experience, Cornwall
NEWS: Gardeners’ wages likely to be raised by RHS in benchmark exercise
GARDEN RETAIL TOP 100 PROFILE: How Coolings in Kent has built up its reputation
PLANT FOCUS: Ligularia
PEST & DISEASE FACTSHEET: Spider mites
UK GROWER AWARDS 2015: Entries now open