Back in March of this year we reported on a ground-breaking gathering, at a round-table event hosted by Horticulture Week, of many of the most influential figures in the UK's parks and allied sectors.
Horticulture Week Campaign - Make Parks a Priority
Disproportionate cuts to parks' maintenance budgets are threatening to lead to a return to the spiral of decline in which parks found themselves in the 1970s and 1980s. Exacerbating the difficulties is an absence at national level of any department with a watching brief for the UK's urban parks.
The Make Parks a Priority campaign is calling for a fresh Parliamentary inquiry into urban parks to address these issues.
Annual reception of All-Party Parliamentary Gardening & Horticulture Group attended by 130 industry figures and politicians.
The Parks Alliance presses Commons select committee for inquiry into urgent funding pressures currently facing parks.
New body to champion the UK's public parks and their stakeholders appoints its first chair.
Reports and resources
Some of the key reports that informed the campaign:
See pictures of some of the attendees at the launch held at the Houses of Parliament on 27 June 2012.
Features and analysis
Green-space leaders met recently at Horticulture Week's offices to discuss the creation of a co-ordinated cross-sector alliance and vision for urban parks to ensure their future, Jez Abbott reports.
As fears grow over the impact of budget cuts on tree maintenance, Hannah Jordan looks at latest developments and one team bucking the trend.
A guide highlighting the role of green space in recuperation should add weight to the battle against budget cuts, practitioners tell Hannah Jordan.
Volunteers and business support are key as Britain in Bloom entrants look to make the maximum impact with fewer resources, says Hannah Jordan.
Our public parks are under threat once more as the impact of the spending cuts becomes clear.
- Mark Camley to chair The Parks Alliance
- Alan Titchmarsh: parks oversight a sin
- Just two weeks left to ask your MP to back calls for an inquiry into the parks funding crisis!
- Make Parks a Priority: Urge your MP today to back calls for an inquiry into the parks funding crisis!
- Parks study unlocks benefits evidence
- PM lobbied over loss of GreenSpace charity
- Talks aim to preserve legacy of GreenSpace
- National parks charity GreenSpace announces it is to cease trading
- Study to examine state of parks
- Parks Leadership Round Table sets goal for common vision
- Further cuts expected from parks departments next year, expert warns
- Key horticulture issues figure at parliamentary reception
- Landscape Institute urges members to lobby MPs over parks, as two more sign Early Day Motion on funding crisis
- Gardens trusts group supports call for parks inquiry to protect legacy
- Parks in firing line as budget cuts bite
- IoH boss takes parks cause to David Cameron
Hear speeches by Horticulture Week editor, Kate Lowe and Director of London Parks and Greenspace Agency, Tony Leach made at the campaign launch in June.
A collection of evidence to support the case for green space funding
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- HEAD GARDENER REQUIRED - COTSWOLDS Knight Frank £28,000 - £30,000 no accommodation, Gloucestershire / Cheltenham, Gloucestershire / Northleach, Gloucestershire
- Contract Supervisor Lowther Forestry Group Ltd Attractive salary, vehicle and benefits package, South East England / South West England
- Gardener - Team Leader Landscape Associates Ltd £19,000 - £23,000 - Dependant on individual experience, Teddington, London (Greater) / Teddington, London (Greater)
- Assistant Category Manager MorePeople £25000 - £35000 per annum, Cambridgeshire
- Landscape Operations Manager MorePeople £30000 - £32000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)