Liverpool to fast-track new local authority trading company for grounds maintenance

Liverpool City Council plans to buy outright the bin collection company it currently joint-owns with Amey, creating a Local Authority Trading Company (LATCO).

Liverpool. Image: Pixabay
Liverpool. Image: Pixabay

In July the cabinet agreed to establish a LATCO to deliver waste collection and grounds maintenance as a way of cutting costs by an estimated £1m a year.

The council owns a 20 per cent share in Enterprise Liverpool, with Amey holding the remaining 80 per cent share. It is recommended that the council acquire the remaining share and the company's existing fleet as the quickest and most economical way of establishing a LATCO. The cabinet is considering the proposal today (30 October).

Councillor Steve Munby, who is Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods, said: "These legal agreements allow us to move to the new company in a quick and efficient way. We are confident that the changes we have agreed with the workforce will deliver savings of £1m a year in running costs and help us reach our recycling target of 55 per cent by 2020.

"The icing on the cake is that we will bring the grounds maintenance contract into the LATCO three years before the contract would have finished. This is costing us £3 million a year at present and I believe there is scope for considerable savings."

Amey has agreed to waive any claims arising from the loss of income resulting from the early termination of the grounds maintenance contract.

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus

Read These Next

IoG Saltex 2016 - show preview

IoG Saltex 2016 - show preview

This year's Saltex will be looking to build on the success of last year by packing in a multitude of exhibitors and sessions over the two days, Sally Drury reports.

According To Dunnett ... Horticulture needed to 'colour in' green infrastructure

According To Dunnett ... Horticulture needed to 'colour in' green infrastructure

It's now around one year since work started on Sheffield's groundbreaking "Grey to Green" scheme, one of the largest urban green infrastructure projects in the UK.

Tree lifting, moving  and planting

Tree lifting, moving and planting

Successful relocations can see even big trees flourish while costing less than buying new stock, says Sally Drury.

Follow us on:
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • Google +
Horticulture Jobs
More Horticulture Jobs

Contracts & Tenders

Sally Drury on professional gardening

Sally Drury

A monthly checklist of things to do and watch out for to keep your garden looking its best.