Landfill tax reforms set to speed up funding for parks projects

Reforms to the Landfill Communities Fund (LCF) - a key source of funding for parks projects - will improve the flow of money to communities, the Government says.

Image: Pixabay
Image: Pixabay

The LCF is a tax credit scheme allowing landfill operators to give money to environmental bodies enrolled with ENTRUST, which then distribute the funds to communities that live near the landfills for use on environmental good causes.

It has funded more than 50,000 community and environmental projects across the UK, to the tune of some £1.2bn. In 2013-14, 77 per cent of the money spent was on public parks and amenities, with projects ranging from historic garden restorations to new eco-friendly visitor centres.

But the Government announced in 2014 that the fund was to be reformed, due to concerns that the environmental bodies were accumulating large sums of money and not giving the money to communities in a timely manner. As a tax credit scheme the LCF also reduces the overall tax intake, and the Government felt it should offer better value for the taxpayer.

In November's Comprehensive Spending Review the Government announced changes to the fund. The draft proposal has now been published, with changes to come into law in April. The Government says these changes will "improve the flow of funds to communities by removing barriers that prevent funds reaching projects".

Changes include:

  • The cap on contributions by landfill operators will be set at 4.2 per cent
  • Qualifying contributions can no longer be invested to generate interest, meaning the money will go directly to communities much faster
  • Environmental bodies can no longer use funds to provide financial and other services to other environmental bodies
  • The length of time records need to be retained will be restricted to six years

One unexpected change is that the provision for contributing third parties will be removed, and landfill operators must pay 10 per cent of qualifying contributions. At present landfill operators can claim a tax credit on 90 per cent of their donation to an environmental body, and third parties can make up the remaining 10 per cent.

The Government says this often means the community group has to find a third party contributor, or raise the funds themselves, which delays the start of projects. After 1 April 2016, third parties will no longer be able to make up the 10 per cent shortfall, removing this delay.

However the Environmental Services Association (ESA), which represents the waste management industry, has expressed its "deep concern" about the changes. 

According to the ESA this will cost the industry around £4m each year, and could put the fund at risk of closure.

ESA executive director Jacob Hayler said: "The Government’s proposed change is likely to jeopardise the future of the scheme, thereby removing this vital funding source for local projects whilst also leading to job losses at the environmental bodies.

"A mere four months’ notice provides landfill operators with little time to budget, particularly when their planning timescales tend to be around five years in advance, and when some individual operators are facing unforeseen annual costs of over £500,000."

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus

Read These Next

IoG Saltex 2016 - show preview

IoG Saltex 2016 - show preview

This year's Saltex will be looking to build on the success of last year by packing in a multitude of exhibitors and sessions over the two days, Sally Drury reports.

According To Dunnett ... Horticulture needed to 'colour in' green infrastructure

According To Dunnett ... Horticulture needed to 'colour in' green infrastructure

It's now around one year since work started on Sheffield's groundbreaking "Grey to Green" scheme, one of the largest urban green infrastructure projects in the UK.

Tree lifting, moving  and planting

Tree lifting, moving and planting

Successful relocations can see even big trees flourish while costing less than buying new stock, says Sally Drury.

Follow us on:
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • Google +
Horticulture Jobs
More Horticulture Jobs

Contracts & Tenders

Sally Drury on professional gardening

Sally Drury

A monthly checklist of things to do and watch out for to keep your garden looking its best.