The gardens of the Italian Lakes around Lake Como and Lake Maggiore, in the far north of Italy, feature strongly in the book, by Steven Desmond, who is a lecturer, writer and garden tour leader.
The book is designed for the specialist and enthusiast preparing for a visit.
The gardens include:
- Villa Melzi, Bellagio: an early 19th-century romantic park on the lake shore
- Villa Carlotta, Cadenabbia: a terraced 17th-century property with woodland
- Villa del Balbianello, Lenno: a famously picturesque loggia
- Villa D’Este, Cernobbio: a 16th-century cascade garden with royal connections
- Villa Cicogna Mozzoni, Bisuschio: an intact 16th-century villa garden
- Villa Della Porta Bozzolo, Casalzuigno: a rural baroque garden
- Isola Bella, Stresa: a well-known island garden
- Isola Madre, Stresa: an island retreat of flowers and birds
- Villa San Remigio, Pallanza: an Edwardian garden made by two lovers
- Villa Táranto, Pallanza: one of the world’s great woodland gardens