The awards, which were hosted by Horticulture Week and opened by its garden industry editor Matthew Appleby, saw leading garden centres and industry professionals from across the UK presented with awards in recognition of their achievements over the past 18 months.
Among the many big winners of the night were Longacres, Old Railway Line and Timmermans garden centres, £2m-£5m and under £2m respectively, Blue Diamond (Redfields) and Green Pastures which won best development in the multiples and single site categories respectively - and Glendoick which scooped a stunning trio of awards for Best Community Involvement, Sales Team of the Year and Best Garden Centre Event. Timmermans took the double, also scooping the Catering Excellence Award.
Richard Jackson picked up the award for Lifetime Achievement Award 2016, presented by the HTA's chief executive Carol Paris.
A full write up on each of the award winners, and details of all those shortlisted and receiving high commendations, will be published in Horticulture Week’s magazine edition on 18 March.
This year’s event was kindly sponsored by Briers, Bord na Móna, Bosmere, Briers, Garden Industry Manufacturer’s Association (GIMA), Horticultural Trades Association, Neudorff, and SOLEX. The Garden Retail Awards charity was Greenfingers.
Garden Retail & Garden Industry Awards 2016: The Winners
- Best Business Development: New Build, Refit or Launch (Multiple) – Blue Diamond Group for Redfields Home of Garden and Living
- Best Business Development: New Build, Refit or Launch (Single Site) – Green Pastures
- Best New Retail Product (non gardening) – Burgon & Ball for Love the Glove
- Commitment to Staff Development – Whitehall Garden Centre
- Garden Centre Landscape Service of the Year – Tendercare Nurseries for site visit service
- Community Involvement Award – Glendoick Garden Centre
- Garden Designer of the Year – Janine Pattison Studios
- Greenest Garden Centre – B&Q
- Online excellence award – Crocus.co.uk
- Retail hardy nursery stock supplier of the year – Bransford Webbs Plant Company
- Sales team of the year – Glendoick Garden Centre
- Retail outlet of the Year: Over £5m turnover – Longacres Garden Centre
- Retail outlet of the year: Under £2m – Timmermans Garden Centre
- Best Garden Centre Event - Glendoick Garden Centre for the Glendoick Big Weekend
- Best New Gardening Product – Hozelock for Hozelock Cloud Controller
- Best Planteria – Old Railway Line Garden Centre
- Customer Service Excellence Award – Sidmouth Garden Centre
- Catering Excellence Award – Timmermans Garden Centre
- Multiple Garden Retail of the Year – Hillier Garden Centres
- Retail Outlet of the Year: £2m to £5m – Old Railway Line Garden Centre
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Richard Jackson
High Commendations went to: Viridian's Anne Jennings (Garden Designer of the Year), Tong Garden Centre (Community Involvement), White Stores (online excellence), Battersea Flower Station (retail outlet under £2m), The Mains of Drum (Catering Excellence), Glendoick Garden Centre (retail outlet £2m to £5m)