Now operating across two sites in Kent, Coolings has built a reputation as a successful family business, won multiple awards and achieved a high rank in the Garden Retail Top 100, Matthew Appleby reports.
Trees in the USA save more than 850 lives a year and prevent 670,000 cases of acute respiratory symptoms, US Forest Service researchers have claimed.
The cross sector Garden Industry Marketing Board is to travel to food and music festivals next spring and summer in a bid to attract under 45s to gardening.
Andigestion and Matthews Flower Growers (Devon) aim to join forces for a horticultural project at Holsworthy Biogas Plant.
A European Commission report has blamed "complexity of rules and lack of legal certainty" for the low uptake of Producer Organisations (POs) within EU horticulture.
- Spray off potato crops now for optimum size and health, growers advised
- Waitrose begins stocking English plums in July
- Crackdown on off-road vehicles under way in Welsh woodlands
- Halifax in green space pledge
- Council revisits scrapped park cafe plan following pressure from local campaigners
- Glendale completes Birmingham sensory garden
- M&M look to the future
- William Sinclair reveals integrated professional and retail products sales team
- B&Q moves horticulture operations
- Lindum supply Commonwealths turf
- We'll leave fighting says Morden Hall Garden Centre boss
- Corporation in Green Flag success
HW's pest & disease bulletin delivers a monthly round-up of news, information, products and research developments relating to the battle against pests and diseases.
UK Grower Awards
New categories for UK Grower Awards 2015 offer even more opportunities to highlight strengths to potential customers.
- Morden Hall Garden Centre prepares for closing down sale
- The Range takes over Homebase stores
- Commons environmental audit committee urges Government to accept European risk assessment on neonicotinoids
- Landmark US study computes value of air pollution removal by trees
- Reports suggest Homebase might be sold
- Record breaking year for Green Flag Award scheme
Explore Horticulture Week
Reviewed - Tractor-mounted mowers How will new models cope with time pressure and the demand for a quality finish? Sally Drury finds out.
Eucryphia Grown for their abundant and showy white or pink flowers, these trees are great companion plants for varieties that love acid soil, says Bethan Norris.
Control challenge What help is available for growers to cope with increasing complexity and a shrinking pool of chemicals in pest and disease control? Sally Drury investigates.
Apprenticeships: Employers in charge Major Government changes to apprenticeships put employers in the driving seat. Is horticulture ready? Jez Abbott finds out.
Grow your own - Back on track Weather conditions have led to a more steady sales season for fruit and vegetable products and suppliers are lining up new varieties for 2015, Matthew Appleby reports.
Pest & Disease Management - Spider mites The glasshouse red spider mite, also known as the two-spotted spider mite, is a troublesome pest of both protected and outdoor ornamentals.
- Date: Wed 06 Aug 2014 - Wed 06 Aug 2014
- Venue: E M Cole Farms Ltd, Small Drove Lane, West Pinchbeck, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 3NL - then National Cut Flower Centre, Rookery Farm, Joys Bank, Holbeach St Johns, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE12 8SG
- Date: Wed 06 Aug 2014 - Fri 08 Aug 2014
- Venue: Istanbul, Turkey
- Date: Sun 10 Aug 2014 - Fri 15 Aug 2014
- Venue: Horgen, Switzerland
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Nursery Supervisor Griffin Nurseries 20-25k, Hampshire / Liphook, Hampshire
- HEAD GARDENER REQUIRED - COTSWOLDS Knight Frank £28,000 - £30,000 no accommodation, Gloucestershire / Cheltenham, Gloucestershire / Northleach, Gloucestershire
- Contract Supervisor Lowther Forestry Group Ltd Attractive salary, vehicle and benefits package, South East England / South West England
- Project Manager National Trust £20,401 per annum plus benefits, Norwich, Norfolk
- Technical Leader MorePeople Dependent on Experience, East of England
GARDEN RETAIL TOP 100 PROFILE: How Coolings in Kent has built up its reputation
PLANT FOCUS: Ligularia
PEST & DISEASE FACTSHEET: Spider mites
UK GROWER AWARDS 2015: Entries now open