Topics covered include:
- The appropriate siting for a greenhouse enterprise, and covers greenhouse design principles and commercial glasshouses
- Cladding materials, the development and use of polythene-clad tunnel structures, and greenhouse energy sources
- The greenhouse environment, growing rooms, irrigation, composts and other growing media
- A detailed chapter on hydroponics
- Plant nutrients, fertilizers, pest and disease control, nursery hygiene and much more
Thady Barrett started his career at the former ADAS Experimental Horticulture Stations at Luddington and Lee Valley while studying horticulture at Writtle College in Essex. He gained the Royal Horticultural Society's NDH in Commercial Horticulture (now known as the MHort RHA) and an MHort degree. He is a member of the International Plant Producer's Society. The expert in growing salad crops, ornamental plants and cut flowers, for 20 years was senior lecturer in commercial horticulture at Writtle College. He is now a horticultural consultant and provides technical advice to small and medium-sized ornamental plant nurseries.