Green space contributes to "great place to live" in major Wembley residential rental development

Green roofs and residential landscaped gardens are part of the vision for what will be the largest newbuild rental-only housing development in the UK.

The site features a new landscaped square. Image: Brent Council
The site features a new landscaped square. Image: Brent Council

Brent Council's planning committee has approved the development of 743 new homes for rent on the doorstep of the iconic Wembley Stadium, part of 5,000 new homes to be built over the next seven years by Quintain. The development will be bigger than East Village next to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, Stratford, which has 3,000 homes.

The 25-year project will also create a seven-acre public park, a new landscaped London square, a primary school and a wide range of shops, restaurants and workspaces. 

The new dwellings will range from 12 to 26 storeys in height and will include residential landscaped gardens, a clubhouse, energy centre, 91 coach parking spaces to support Stadium event days, and 569 square metres of commercial space.

Of the 733 residential rental units, 42% (303) will be offered under the affordable housing scheme and the remaining 58% (440) available for market rent.

The approval comes as part of the regeneration of the area around the stadium by Quintain which includes 11,500 new homes.

Cabinet member for regeneration, growth, employment and skills Shama Tatler said: "The vision for this vibrant new residential area in Brent will take some years to deliver, but work is well underway. Innovative architecture and design combined with retail, green spaces and excellent transport links create a great place to live and work."


Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus

Read These Next

Reviewed: ride-on mowers

Reviewed: ride-on mowers

With mowing one of the key tasks at Sir Harold Hillier Gardens, the team are ideally placed to try out the latest machines. Sally Drury reports.

Battery tools on the up

Battery tools on the up

The revolution in battery powered equipment continues apace with more manufacturers offering ever-improving machines, Sally Drury reports.

Sargent's solutions - what you need to know and do before becoming a sole trader

Sargent's solutions - what you need to know and do before becoming a sole trader

Careful preparation is essential for anyone moving from a full-time job to being self-employed, says Alan Sargent.


 
Horticulture Jobs
More Horticulture Jobs

Industry Data

An exclusive report for HW subscribers revealing the key development trends, clients and locations for 2017.

Are you a landscape supplier?

Horticulture Week Landscape Project Leads

If so, you should be receiving our new service for Horticulture Week subscribers delivering landscape project leads from live, approved, planning applications across the UK.

Landscape Contracts & Tenders

Products & Kit Resources

BALI National Landscape Awards 2016

Read all about the winning projects in the awards, run in association with Horticulture Week.