News, in-depth reporting and discussion of greenkeeping and turf maintenance, including sports turf, fine turf and amenity turf. Looking for greenkeeper jobs?
Turf In Depth
Horticultural colleges are finding new ways to attract recruits after fees were forced up for older students, Jack Shamash reports.
Sally Drury reports from the latest STRI trials on nutrition, environmental conditions, soil water and more
Avoid repeating bland corporate messages if you want to get your message across, Ben Hurley advises
High-quality workwear can improve your image as well as keep you safe at work, Sally Drury explains.
- "Don't drop a groundsman for an artificial pitch", says Geoff Webb as IOG debate hears challenge to "no maintenance myth" of non-turf surfaces.
- Ground Control on London Stock Exchange list of inspiring companies
- Wembley Stadium staff take IOG professional sports ground team of the year award
- Myerscough College students to work on lottery-funded Lytham Hall redevelopment project
- Recognising achievement
- New Contracts - Grounds maintenance in Pembrokeshire
- New Contracts - Grounds maintenance in Knowsley
- New Contracts - Grounds maintenance in Leyland
A groundsman's take on football and the world of sports turf.
Alan Ferguson's blog
How to Buy...
How to buy - Aerators The latest models offer faster speeds, wider working widths and root zone recycling, Sally Drury finds.
How to buy - Tractors Knowing precisely what tasks you need to do is crucial when selecting a new tractor, says Sally Drury.
How to buy - Tractor-mounted mowers A high-quality finish and attractive stripes have increased roller mowers' popularity, Sally Drury explains.
How to Buy - Aerators The latest models feature clever technology but knowing when to use them is still key, says Sally Drury.
How to buy - Amenity herbicides Sally Drury answers questions about the latest weed control products to appear on the market.
How to buy - Mini-excavators Weight, ease of control and adaptability are key factors when selecting these machines, says Sally Drury.
In response to increasing demand for mulch mowers, Stihl has introduced two professional models under the Viking brand.
Complementing SCAG, Humus and RoboFlail products, the new Pirana cut-and-collect mower from STM gives a 122cm cut using twin blades with 80mm overlap. Cuttings can be exhausted through the 45x45cm discharge tunnel or collected in the optional high-du...
Husqvarna is launching a range of three 25cc commercial trimmers and brushcutters. Combi Unit 525LK and 525RJX loop-handle trimmers have SmartStart and an X-Torq engine. The 525RXT also has an X-Torq engine along with comfort handlebars and Balance 5...
Extending the choice of cutting heads available from Stihl, the DuroCut is filled from the outside with pre-cut lengths of line without the need to dismantle the head.
Part of the ATT Turf Management System from The Grass Group, the SMARTVertiCut cassette uses non-carbide-tipped blades to reduce bruising and stress when verticutting. Turning the rotor through 180 degs enables the second edge to be utilised.
Two commercial rotary mowers designed to meet the demands of professionals will be available from Etesia this autumn. Models PKCTM 46cm and LKCGM 53cm join the Duocut rotary range, both being available with mulching inserts enabling the mowers to b...
Ask Sally Drury
Advice from Horticulture Week's equipment expert
- What oil should I be putting in my trailed gang mower TG4650?
- I need replacement blades for my Wessex grass topper, which I bought second hand and use behind my tractor. It's a 1999 model 9184, serial number 990090. The number stamped on the blade is 10070 but I don't know whether this is a part number. The fixing hole in the centre of the blade is 18mm diameter and the cutting edge length is 170mm. Can you help?
- I have a Super Bowl 51-61 and I am having trouble adjusting the height. The mechanism may have been put back together incorrectly.
- We have the opportunity to buy a second-hand Dennis Premier to use on our village cricket field. We currently use an Atco but it is old and frequently needs repairing.
- We would like to emphasise our landscaping business's green credentials and I was wondering whether there is anything to help with construction work that does not run on diesel fuel.
- We currently have two Kawasaki Mules but want a vehicle that will carry four people. What do you consider good?
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Team Leader - North West (19920) Anders Plus 18 - 22k, NW England
- Tree Climber Arborist Cornwall Council £14,397 - £19,704 , Cornwall
- Senior Gardener Phyllis Court Club £20,000 - £25,000 per annum + benefits. Salary dependant on skills and experience., Henley on Thames
- Quality Controller (Plants) MorePeople £22000 per annum, North West England
- NPD Manager - flowers MorePeople £35000 - £40000 per annum, Cambridgeshire
Garden Retail Awards 2013 - Find out all about the winners in our special supplement
TURF SEED AND CONSUMABLES: STRI trials latest products, machinery and techniques
PLANT FOCUS: Pseudopanax