Horticultural techniques, plant pests & diseases, equipment & machinery, energy management, horticultural research findings and other technical information
Sally Drury explains how growers are going to have to use water more efficiently to keep costs down.
What equipment can turf managers call on to cope with recent extreme weather? Sally Drury investigates
Maximising productivity is a key factor when it comes to choosing the right machine, Sally Drury explains.
Equipment & Materials
New models were submitted for testing on a wet and windy day at Bridgwater College, Sally Drury reports.
Demand for better energy efficiency, yields and quality is driving improvements in polytunnel covers, says Gavin McEwan.
Westonbirt Arboretum provided the testing ground for FSI Powertech's machinery, Sally Drury reports.
The severe storms of recent months have led to a surge in demand for these machines, Sally Drury finds.
Latest Machinery Tests
Look out, the Vikings are coming. Stihl calls this latest model a "mulching expert", and we can see why. This is an efficient performer that gives a nice clean cut, with the finely mulched grass clippings evenly deposited even when conditions are les...
- Etesia DuoCut 46 RMHB
- Etesia PRO 53 LKX
- Hyundai HYM43P and HYM51SP
- Weibang WB536SK ALV PRO BBC
- FSI D67-720 4WD
Pest & Disease News
- Defra launches National Pollinator Strategy draft action plan
- Crowdfunders meet new team behind Sarpo blight-free potatoes
- Virtual bees could help understanding of colony collapse, researchers say
- Defra warns of fresh threat to UK elms
- Emerging diseases, spread from managed bees, may be an important cause of wild bee decline, researchers find
- GM Desiree potatoes shown to have late blight resistance
- Slugs and snails worst pests of 2013 finds RHS
- Dutch researcher discovers new mode of potato blight resistance
- Days left to enter Young Horticulturist of the Year 2014
- New fungicide mode of action offers hope for Chalara control
- Science Into Practice - Weed control for narcissus
- Science Into Practice - Timing sowing for snap peas
- Science Into Practice - Green-waste mulching
- Science Into Practice - Biological aphid control
- Science Into Practice - Latest parsnip varieties tested
- Science Into Practice - New fungicides to defend crops
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Assistant Gardener Rottingdean Place Dependant on experience, Rottingdean
- Arboricultural Officer Portsmouth City Council Band 08 - £26,539 to £28,922 p.a, Portsmouth, Hampshire
- Garden Director St Andrews Botanic Garden Trust Around £35,000 depending on the skills, expertise and experience of the successful candidate ., St Andrews - East Scotland
- Experienced Senior Kitchen Gardener (ECG540) Horticruitment Circa £25K DOE, Nr Hoo, Hampshire
- Grounds Maintenance Operative/Supervisor Scofell Landscapes Ltd Salary will be dependent on experience. , Newbury, Berkshire
UK Grower Awards 2014: Winners exemplify the finest in production horticulture
NEWS: Garden venues fight back with visitor upturn seen in 2013
GARDEN RETAIL: In-depth profile of Garden Retail Top 100 centre, Garsons in Surrey
MARKET REPORT: Landscape drainage and irrigation
PLANT FOCUS: Bamboo
PEST AND DISEASE FACTSHEET: Sciarid fly