Get it right and there is still money to be made selling roses in garden centres. Wholesale growers and successful retailers tell Liz Dobbs what works in today's challenging times.
News, in-depth reporting and discussion of garden centres and garden retailing, including plantaria, concessions, pets, catering, green gardening, manufactured goods and retail business.
Looking for garden centre jobs? Search horticulturejobs.co.uk.
10 Ways to sell...
Houseplant sales are up and have potential for further growth so simple techniques can boost turnover, says Graham Clarke.
With many consumers keen to make the most out of limited growing spaces, plants and sales should both head skywards, Graham Clarke suggests.
Promote seeds as cheap, target beginner gardeners and get information across, Graham Clarke suggests.
Whatever the season, bulbs, bedding plants and shrubs offer opportunities for sales if they are chosen well and displayed appropriately, says Graham Clarke.
Good signposting and rose champions can guide customers through the huge range of varieties available and advise on care, says Graham Clarke.
Garden Retail In Depth
In the second article of our series highlighting the industry's top performers from our exclusive Garden Retail Top 100 listing, Matthew Appleby examines the rise of Garsons in Surrey.
The hybrid seed market and poppies to commemorate the World War One centenary will be key features this year, Matthew Appleby reports.
The 'elephant's ears' provide good ground cover and bright spring flowers, notes Miranda Kimberley.
In the first of a series highlighting the industry's top performers taken from our exclusive Garden Retail Top 100 listing, Matthew Appleby turns the spotlight on Scotsdales Garden Centre in Cambridge.
Insider view on industry happenings in the world of gardening and growing media, news and events.
Matthew Appleby's blog
Garden Retail News
- Plant-buying change identified
- HTA demands 'no tax on gardening' at inquiry
- Roses unveiled for Chelsea
- Retiring board member talks up international association
- Boxed votives introduced
- Squire's hosts piano recital
- New bronze tools available
- Big increase for boot sales
- Bag producer purchased
- More work needed on English and maths
- Extension to Pontarddulais garden centre leads to increased plant sales
- Plants selected for gold medal awards
- Plans for caravan facility at Garden King bolstered by assured revenue
Inspiration and insight from travels around the horticultural world.
Peter Seabrook's blog
Garden Retail - the interviews
The 139-centre Terra Firma-owned Garden Centre Group is undergoing big changes under chief executive Kevin Bradshaw.
Retail plant focus...
Ficus The figs make up a huge genus and, despite coming from tropical and subtropical regions, are well known to UK gardeners and houseowners because the common and edible fig is widely grown in greenhouses as well as outside in warmer areas - and many orn...
Correa Star-shaped flowers or pendulous bells make these plants highly decorative, says Miranda Kimberley.
Allium These ever-popular ornamental onions range from giants to pot species, says Miranda Kimberley.
Tropaeolum These climbing and trailing herbaceous plants offer vibrant displays of colour, says Kevin Line.
Achimenes Achimenes is one of those houseplants that is not well known by name but packs a real punch with brightly coloured flowers rivalling begonia and saintpaulia. They grow from scaly rhizomes that are started into growth in early spring and flower throug...
Lysimachia Lysimachia is a genus that contains many highly ornamental perennials.
Business Planning with Neville Stein
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Garden Director St Andrews Botanic Garden Trust Around £35,000 depending on the skills, expertise and experience of the successful candidate ., St Andrews - East Scotland
- Experienced Senior Kitchen Gardener (ECG540) Horticruitment Circa £25K DOE, Nr Hoo, Hampshire
- Grounds Maintenance Operative/Supervisor Scofell Landscapes Ltd Salary will be dependent on experience. , Newbury, Berkshire
- HEAD GARDENER - RIVER COTTAGE HQ River Cottage Competitive, Devon / Dorset Border in rural Axminster
- Static Site Foreman/Operatives Anders Plus 18 - 19k, West London
UK Grower Awards 2014: Winners exemplify the finest in production horticulture
NEWS: Garden venues fight back with visitor upturn seen in 2013
GARDEN RETAIL: In-depth profile of Garden Retail Top 100 centre, Garsons in Surrey
MARKET REPORT: Landscape drainage and irrigation
PLANT FOCUS: Bamboo
PEST AND DISEASE FACTSHEET: Sciarid fly