Cankers in nursery stock species are characterised by the death of cambium tissue of woody stems, branches or twigs, causing them to sink in.
Pests & Diseases
Beat the bugs by staying up to date with our plant pest and disease alerts and factsheets on the most common threats.
Pest & Disease Factsheets
This pest can transmit a range of diseases.
Be alert to prevent damage from these pathogens.
Numerous conifer species are potentially at risk.
Black vine weevil (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) is a serious pest of ornamental nursery stock. The adults feed on susceptible plant foliage, leaving notched edges, and the larvae feed on roots.
Eelworms can carry viruses and cause damage by feeding on ornamental crops.
HW's pest & disease bulletin delivers a monthly round-up of news, information, products and research developments relating to the battle against pests and diseases.
Pest & Disease News
- Virus launched to control tree-fruit pest
- European study casts new light on bee colony mortality
- Weedkiller portfolio updated
- New plant health officer hears of Northern Ireland's work on exotic tree pests
- Hortech signs up to forum
- Research project targets blackleg threat to seed potato industry north of the border
- EU moves close to vote on Invasives Bill
- Study prompts Sri Lanka to become the first country to ban the use of glyphosate
- EU invasive species Bill put forward for a vote in two weeks
- New £7m research package to tackle tree pests and diseases
- HDC pest fact sheet published
- Biofumigation study starts
- MPs attack short-term policy on tree pests and diseases
- Predatory mite launched
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- HEAD GARDENER Private Estate in Vale of Evesham Dependent on experience, Worcestershire
- Contracts Manager - 21816 Anders Plus £30,000, Surrey
- Estimator - Commercial Soft Landscape - 21815 Anders Plus £27,000 - £30,000, Surrey
- Garden Centre Manager (E073) Horticruitment Circa £42K, East Sussex
- Landscape Maintenance Operative Contemporary Landscapes Ltd Up to £20,000 + Benefits, Central London and the surrounding areas
NEWS: Garden centres look forward to late Easter sales bonanza
SARGENT'S SOLUTIONS: Why the Customer Rights Bill should be seen as an opportunity rather than a threat
MARKET REPORT: Glasshouses
LANDSCAPE ANALYSIS: Government prospectus offers potential boost across disciplines
EDIBLES: Helping cut food waste - latest packaging addresses concerns over waste issues
PLANT FOCUS: Polygonatum