Parks & Gardens
Horticulture Week's Parks & Gardens News delivers the top stories affecting public open spaces, including amenity turf, historic & botanic gardens, parks trusts, volunteering and parks funding.
Parks & Gardens In Depth
Up-to-date information on glasshouse products and suppliers.
Landscape architects, landscape contractors, maintenance teams and amenity suppliers could benefit from prospectus.
Your employees can help you to differentiate from your competition in a positive way, says Neville Stein.
How does the alpine house benefit RHS Garden Harlow Carr? Sally Drury finds out.
Your professional gardening and landscaping queries answered
Sid Sullivan's Blog
Incisive insight and candid comment from parks consultant Sid Sullivan
Read 'A Day in the Life'...
Parks & Gardens News
- Kew petition nudges 70,000 signatures as local MP Zac Goldsmith weighs in on issue
- Filming set to reveal year-round attractions of Exbury
- Market report - Glasshouse structures
- Capital projects show centrality of landscape, tree seminar hears
- Garden contest promoted
- Expert laments housing associations' tree management
- Titchmarsh backs 'Say No to the Mow'
- More people seeking help from trade charity
Kevin Line's Blog
Head gardener Kevin Line explores his passion for and experiments with plants.
Read 'Digging Deeper'...
Green space management
Guidance and advice from parks and business experts
Ensuring that staff work well together in teams will deliver a range of benefits, Neville Stein explains.
See full winners list and case studies on award-winning parks.
How To Buy...
Buyers' guide - Brushcutters The terrain and nature of the job will dictate which machine you should be using, Sally Drury explains.
Buyers' Guide - Blowers and sweepers Sally Drury looks at blowers and sweepers that can be handheld, pushed, vehicle-mounted or towed.
How to buy - Chainsaws The latest models will cover a wide variety of different professional tasks, Sally Drury finds.
How to buy - Paving, walling & fencing There are important factors to consider when selecting landscape materials, Sally Drury advises.
How to buy - Hedgetrimmers Sally Drury looks at the options open to users of handheld and tractor-mounted trimmers.
How to buy - Aerators The latest models offer faster speeds, wider working widths and root zone recycling, Sally Drury finds.
Hire Supply Company HSC has purchased the business and assets of Midland Power Machinery.
Fresh grass clippings, leaves, farmyard manures and weeds can all be piled into a Mantis ComposTumbler to give nutrient-rich compost in just two weeks when an activator is added.
Stihl has joined the robotic lawnmower market with the introduction of the intelligent Viking-branded iMOW.
Providing Bomford arm mower owners with alternative uses outside the hedge-cutting season, the Pro Drill Head can be used to power either a range of post-hole borers or a tree stump planer. A heavy-duty hydraulic motor can be used at oil flow rates ...
How the funding squeeze is hitting green spaces.
I have just seen another £200,000 spent on a playground, once again resulting in an area of rubber surfacing covered in boring, risk-averse play equipment surrounded by fencing.
A new British Standard is about to be published and it is different from anything seen in the past.
As flood warnings remain in place across many areas of the UK, the subject of urban cooling and the crucial role that plants can play in its support may not be uppermost in the minds of those concerned with the built environment.
After two decades of investment and improvement, UK public parks and open spaces have become increasingly valued and well used. Green space is often central to regeneration projects from the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park to Birmingham's Eastside Park....
Ask Sally Drury
Advice from Horticulture Week's equipment expert
- I am looking for a petrol pressure washer for cleaning off algae from stone steps and paving. Do you have any recommendations for a budget of around £350?
- What oil should I be putting in my trailed gang mower TG4650?
- Helpline - I need to replace my old lawn tractor. What do you think of the Honda?
- What products would you suggest to increase security for our heating oil tank?
- The interpretation boards in our park have been attacked by a graffiti "artist". Can you suggest anything to clean plastic-covered boards?
- I have a Super Bowl 51-61 and I am having trouble adjusting the height. The mechanism may have been put back together incorrectly.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head Gardener Sudeley Castle Competitive salary package depending on experience. Could potentially include a family cottage, Gloucestershire
- HEAD GARDENER Private Estate in Vale of Evesham Dependent on experience, Worcestershire
- Plantarea Manager (F614) Horticruitment £21K, Berkshire
- Garden Centre Shop Manager (F615) Horticruitment £21K, Berkshire
- Landscape Team Leader (T138) Horticruitment £20-25K, Kent
NEWS: Garden centres look forward to late Easter sales bonanza
SARGENT'S SOLUTIONS: Why the Customer Rights Bill should be seen as an opportunity rather than a threat
MARKET REPORT: Glasshouses
LANDSCAPE ANALYSIS: Government prospectus offers potential boost across disciplines
EDIBLES: Helping cut food waste - latest packaging addresses concerns over waste issues
PLANT FOCUS: Polygonatum