Parks & Gardens
Horticulture Week's Parks & Gardens News delivers the top stories affecting public open spaces, including amenity turf, historic & botanic gardens, parks trusts, volunteering and parks funding.
Parks & Gardens In Depth
What equipment can turf managers call on to cope with recent extreme weather? Sally Drury investigates
Experts call for retrofitting towns and cities, more tree planting and recognising the value of parks for help with drainage.
New models were submitted for testing on a wet and windy day at Bridgwater College, Sally Drury reports.
Maximising productivity is a key factor when it comes to choosing the right machine, Sally Drury explains.
Your professional gardening and landscaping queries answered
Sid Sullivan's Blog
Incisive insight and candid comment from parks consultant Sid Sullivan
Read 'A Day in the Life'...
Parks & Gardens News
- Botanic Gardens Conservation International partners with outlet shopping villages
- Trellis gardening charity announces Jim McColl conference masterclass
- Kit manufacturer Wessex moves to Andover
- Tough times for Garden Organic
- More work needed on English and maths
- Black gardeners of World War One provide inspiration for Chelsea Flower Show exhibit
- Canny use of hashtag attracts urban hipsters to the RHS
- Isle of Man gardens to break new ground
Kevin Line's Blog
Head gardener Kevin Line explores his passion for and experiments with plants.
Read 'Digging Deeper'...
Green space management
Guidance and advice from parks and business experts
Ensuring that staff work well together in teams will deliver a range of benefits, Neville Stein explains.
See full winners list and case studies on award-winning parks.
How To Buy...
Buyers' Guide - Blowers and sweepers Sally Drury looks at blowers and sweepers that can be handheld, pushed, vehicle-mounted or towed.
How to buy - Chainsaws The latest models will cover a wide variety of different professional tasks, Sally Drury finds.
How to buy - Paving, walling & fencing There are important factors to consider when selecting landscape materials, Sally Drury advises.
How to buy - Hedgetrimmers Sally Drury looks at the options open to users of handheld and tractor-mounted trimmers.
How to buy - Aerators The latest models offer faster speeds, wider working widths and root zone recycling, Sally Drury finds.
How to buy - Amenity herbicides From specification to disposal, keeping up to date with the latest legislation is vital, Sally Drury maintains.
With no fewer than 18 upgrades to the 1200 model, the new GreensPro 1240 claims to take greens rolling to "another level".
Combining aeration and sanding in one action, the VGR Top Changer introduced by Campey Turf Care is designed to encourage rapid, healthy grass growth. Over time the process can completely change the top surface without any interference to play.
With 25.4mm spacing between the discs, the new tractor-mounted BLEC golf green disc overseeder has the closest spacing of any produced by the company.
Turning on a sixpence and powered by a 12.2hp Kawasaki engine, the Sand Pro 2040Z bunker rake from Toro is the industry's first zero-turn mechanical groomer.
How the funding squeeze is hitting green spaces.
A new British Standard is about to be published and it is different from anything seen in the past.
As flood warnings remain in place across many areas of the UK, the subject of urban cooling and the crucial role that plants can play in its support may not be uppermost in the minds of those concerned with the built environment.
After two decades of investment and improvement, UK public parks and open spaces have become increasingly valued and well used. Green space is often central to regeneration projects from the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park to Birmingham's Eastside Park....
Welcome to the first edition of HW for 2014, which takes a look at what's in store for horticulture this year in our special five-page preview.
Ask Sally Drury
Advice from Horticulture Week's equipment expert
- I am looking for a petrol pressure washer for cleaning off algae from stone steps and paving. Do you have any recommendations for a budget of around £350?
- What oil should I be putting in my trailed gang mower TG4650?
- Helpline - I need to replace my old lawn tractor. What do you think of the Honda?
- What products would you suggest to increase security for our heating oil tank?
- The interpretation boards in our park have been attacked by a graffiti "artist". Can you suggest anything to clean plastic-covered boards?
- I have a Super Bowl 51-61 and I am having trouble adjusting the height. The mechanism may have been put back together incorrectly.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Assistant Gardener Rottingdean Place Dependant on experience, Rottingdean
- Gardener Daylesford Estate Dependent upon experience/qualifactions, Gloucestershire
- Contract Manager Ground Control Competitive salary, semi-annual bonuses amd company stock options, North Yorkshire, Northern Home Counties or South West London
- Head Gardener (live -out) (21034) Anders Plus IRO 25k neg, North London
- Garden Director St Andrews Botanic Garden Trust Around £35,000 depending on the skills, expertise and experience of the successful candidate ., St Andrews - East Scotland
UK Grower Awards 2014: Winners exemplify the finest in production horticulture
NEWS: Garden venues fight back with visitor upturn seen in 2013
GARDEN RETAIL: In-depth profile of Garden Retail Top 100 centre, Garsons in Surrey
MARKET REPORT: Landscape drainage and irrigation
PLANT FOCUS: Bamboo
PEST AND DISEASE FACTSHEET: Sciarid fly