Star-shaped flowers or pendulous bells make these plants highly decorative, says Miranda Kimberley.
News, in-depth reporting and discussion of ornamental plant production nurseries, including hardy nursery stock, protected crops, cut flowers and bulbs.
Looking for nursery jobs ? Search horticulturejobs.co.uk
Ornamentals In Depth
Horticultural colleges are finding new ways to attract recruits after fees were forced up for older students, Jack Shamash reports.
As fears about pests and diseases brought in on imported plants rise, will UK growers see the benefit of higher demand?
Numerous conifer species are potentially at risk.
Hiring is an increasingly popular option for nursery equipment and new kit is improving, says Sally Drury.
These evergreen trees and shrubs can look like something from another world, says Miranda Kimberley.
These ever-popular ornamental onions range from giants to pot species, says Miranda Kimberley.
Attractive blooms and appealing bark ensure year-round interest, says Miranda Kimberley.
The pretty 'spring starflower' comes in a variety of attractive colours, says Miranda Kimberley.
These trees feature a mouth-watering aroma and colourful leaves, says Miranda Kimberley.
Ornamentals Production News
- Plant Reproductive Material report comments deadline delayed
- Business rates cap, housing development loans and fuel duty U-turn revealed in Autumn Statement
- Sweet chestnut and plane diseases may be coming into UK
- CPA calls for light touch in implementing CAP greening
- Howard Nurseries listed as leading East Anglia green business
- Watch out for white van man, warns Christmas tree group
- Rose nursery on the market
- Nursery has new Japanese Primrose national collection
- Unwins extends poppy campaign
Inspiration and insight from travels around the horticultural world.
Peter Seabrook's blog
Beekenkamp introduces Begonia 'Vermillion Red', Begonia 'Glory Lemon' and Begonia 'Waterfall Encanto Red' for 2014.
Pannebakker Plants, the Dutch grower, will showcase its 50-60cm Picea pungens 'Super Blue Seedling', which has attractive silvery blue foliage.
Moles Seeds will be showing two series of French Marigolds, the new vanilla-cream Anemone-type Alumia and the early flowering crested-type Cresta.
Thompson & Morgan Direct to Grower will be launching its new range for 2014, adding more than 30 new seed introductions to the range. New varieties from the Thompson & Morgan cutting raised breeding programme include the Digitalis 'Illumination Pink'...
'Raphaella' is a new Tumbelina double, adding to the already wide range of colours in the series. It has the virtue of being early to flower and looks good as a young plant.
Kernock Park Plants is introducing 50 new varieties to its catalogue for 2014, including the latest Calibrachoa in the Superbells collection, 'Pomegranate Punch'. It flowers from the beginning of summer to the end of October, and its crimson-red flow...
Bonningales Nursery chairman Tim Edwards on the business of ornamentals production
Writer and columnist Andrew Hewson offers his reflections on horticulture
- Science Into Practice - New fungicides to defend crops
- Science Into Practice - Clubroot control in propagation
- Science Into Practice - Irrigation needs of substrates
- Science Into Practice - Studying cavity spot controls
- Science Into Practice - Managing bacterial canker
- Science Into Practice - Stemphylium purple spot
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Key Account and Marketing Manager Darby Nursery Stock Ltd. Up to £55,000 plus benefits, East Anglia
- LANDSCAPE CONTRACTS MANAGER Cotswold Estates & Gardens LTD Competitive Salary., Cotswold
- Estate Manager job in Hampshire Greycoat Lumleys Generous salary, negotiable depending upon experience, Hampshire
- Area Sales Manager MorePeople £38000 - £40000 per annum, Scotland
- Assistant Manager Horticruitment £25K, BUCKS
Garden Retail Awards 2013 - Find out all about the winners in our special supplement
TURF SEED AND CONSUMABLES: STRI trials latest products, machinery and techniques
PLANT FOCUS: Pseudopanax