Horticultural Techniques In Depth
The application of fertilisers through irrigation systems has many benefits over conventional spraying.
These substances can improve the performance of your pesticides or spray mixtures.
Green-manure crops -- also known as cover crops -- play an important part in field-crop production in both agriculture and horticulture.
Most of the water in the South and South East contains appreciable amounts of calcium, giving it its characteristic "hardness". These calcium levels can result in several problems, all of which can be alleviated by acidifying the water. Although pH...
Three Dutch research projects are examining how growers can minimise water use and employ LEDs for root cuttings, Gavin McEwan reports.
European researchers are finding innovative ways to cut energy use in glasshouses, Gavin McEwan reports.
Checking for problems below ground level at an early stage can pay dividends for growers, Peter Groeneveld advises.
Horticulture has lost many of its conventional synthetic pesticides previously widely used for pest and disease control. The reasons for this -- such as public demands for much reduced residues in food and the environment or the limited return on res...
East Malling Research scientists Chris Atkinson, Neil Hipps and Mike Davies report on an experiment to restrict roots to regulate tree sizes with the help of geotextile membranes.
Is it possible to suppress weeds successfully without the use of herbicides? A look at alternative methods used across Europe
- Nunhems acclaims hydroponics at trials
- Nurseries offered water-purification system
- Advice offered on introducing varieties
- Giant water lilies crossed
- GreenTech stands firm in Amsterdam
- Cultivate new varieties, says red grower
- Study examines LED benefits for strawberries
- Biomass heating installed to future-proof glasshouse
- Need for innovation drives expansion of range
- Plant propagation competition open for entry
- Science Into Practice - Sweet pepper fruit rot control
- Science Into Practice - Reducing loss in radish crops
- Science Into Practice - Crop lighting for ornamentals
- Science Into Practice - Minimising residues
- Science Into Practice - Finding better ways to spray
- Science Into Practice - Conference pear storage
- Science Into Practice - Better defences for lettuce crops
- Science Into Practice - Weed control for narcissus
- Science Into Practice - Timing sowing for snap peas
- Science Into Practice - Green-waste mulching
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- HEAD GARDENER REQUIRED - COTSWOLDS Knight Frank £28,000 - £30,000 no accommodation, Gloucestershire / Cheltenham, Gloucestershire / Northleach, Gloucestershire
- Contract Supervisor Lowther Forestry Group Ltd Attractive salary, vehicle and benefits package, South East England / South West England
- Gardener - Team Leader Landscape Associates Ltd £19,000 - £23,000 - Dependant on individual experience, Teddington, London (Greater) / Teddington, London (Greater)
- Assistant Category Manager MorePeople £25000 - £35000 per annum, Cambridgeshire
- Landscape Operations Manager MorePeople £30000 - £32000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)