Fast-growing evergreen foliage makes these plants excellent garden features, says Miranda Kimberley
Essex-based Stewart Landscape Construction has scooped the top award at the Association of Professional Landscapers (APL) Awards 2014.
March sales have shot up to 2011 levels as the weather has turned and confidence has returned to consumers, says Coolings managing director Gary Carvosso.
Researchers have identified the first genetic clues that could help identify and breed trees tolerant to ash dieback disease (Chalara fraxinea).
- Chris Francis joins Hillier as garden centre director
- London council has £1.4m of tree work on offer
- Proposed plant reproductive material laws voted down by European Parliament
- Garden Re-Leaf poised to help kick start garden sales this week
- NFU secures EU exemptions from MOT-style testing for agricultural vehicles
- US cut flower grower to undertake UK cut flower nursery tour
- RHS attracts 13,000
- Alan Titchmarsh to design show garden at RHS Chelsea Flower Show
- RHS and Hillier link for trees and shrubs manual update
HW's pest & disease bulletin delivers a monthly round-up of news, information, products and research developments relating to the battle against pests and diseases.
- Defra launches National Pollinator Strategy draft action plan
- Deep Purple singer to open Chelsea garden
- Ambassadors prepare for first YoungHort conference set to be staged at RHS Wisley
- Plant-buying change identified
- Re-imagined marina wins Royal Docks design competition at Ecobuild
- Garden Centre Group calls time on concessions partner
The 'elephant's ears' provide good ground cover and bright spring flowers, notes Miranda Kimberley.
Ornamental types feature bright flowers and can have attractive foliage, says Miranda Kimberley.
The exquisite fragrance of these plants makes them valuable to gardeners, says Miranda Kimberley.
UK Grower Awards
A top fruit grower that has seen its turnover triple since 2006 when it began a rapid programme of expansion, and a bedding grower that has seen off the sector's challenges by paying detailed attention to every aspect of its business, scooped the big...
Key facts to help you protect your crops from pests and diseases
Explore Horticulture Week
Market report - Nursery irrigation Sally Drury explains how growers are going to have to use water more efficiently to keep costs down.
Top 100 profile - Garsons In the second article of our series highlighting the industry's top performers from our exclusive Garden Retail Top 100 listing, Matthew Appleby examines the rise of Garsons in Surrey.
Promoting seeds The hybrid seed market and poppies to commemorate the World War One centenary will be key features this year, Matthew Appleby reports.
Landscape drainage & irrigation What equipment can turf managers call on to cope with recent extreme weather? Sally Drury investigates
Pest and disease management - Sciarid fly This pest can transmit a range of diseases.
Sargent's solutions - a change of direction? Alan Sargent advises on whether and how to expand a small landscape maintenance business while maintaining income levels and job satisfaction.
- Date: Thu 13 Mar 2014 - Thu 13 Mar 2014
- Venue: Arthur Rank Building Stoneleigh Park Warwickshire CV8 2LZ
- The Guild of Horticultural Trade Display Judges
- Date: Sat 15 Mar 2014 - Sat 15 Mar 2014
- Venue: The Royal Three Counties Showground Malvern Worcestershire WR13 6NW
- Date: Tue 18 Mar 2014 - Tue 18 Mar 2014
- Venue: Lantra House Stonleigh Park Warwicks CV8 2LG
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Assistant Gardener Rottingdean Place Dependant on experience, Rottingdean
- Senior Horticultural Supervisor Richmond Fellowship £17,180-£20,548 pa (pro rata, 30-37.5 hrs pw) , Marlborough, Wiltshire
- Plant Area Technician Hadlow College £15,723 and £17,137 per annum , Hadlow, Kent
- Commercial Manager MorePeople £Excellent, East of England
- Commercial Manager M J Hulton Ltd Relative to Experience, North West
UK Grower Awards 2014: Winners exemplify the finest in production horticulture
NEWS: Garden venues fight back with visitor upturn seen in 2013
GARDEN RETAIL: In-depth profile of Garden Retail Top 100 centre, Garsons in Surrey
MARKET REPORT: Landscape drainage and irrigation
PLANT FOCUS: Bamboo
PEST AND DISEASE FACTSHEET: Sciarid fly