Numerous conifer species are potentially at risk.
News, in-depth reporting and discussion of tree surgery, forestry and arboriculture, including arboricultural contracting, local authority tree officers, consultancy and legal & insurance issues.
Looking for tree surgeon jobs or forestry jobs ? Search horticulturejobs.co.uk
Arboriculture In Depth
Westonbirt Arboretum provided the testing ground for FSI Powertech's machinery, Sally Drury reports.
The severe storms of recent months have led to a surge in demand for these machines, Sally Drury finds.
Noise, emission and vibration levels have all been reduced on the latest models, Sally Drury reports.
Pest And Disease Factsheets
Foliage damage can render some plants unsellable.
Wet weather has helped this disease to spread.
This wood decay fungus can damage trees internally before any external evidence has been noticed.
The piercing and sucking mouthparts of these pests can lead to market rejections of ornamental crops.
The waxy scales of these pests can protect them from predators and insecticides and damage plant stock.
- Cranfield University to coordinate agroforestry project
- More work needed on English and maths
- Police contract secured
- Ambassadors prepare for first YoungHort conference set to be staged at RHS Wisley
- National Trust reports heavy tree loss from the winter's storms
- Studholme to head up Forestry Commission for next three years
- Risks from trees and tree work in the aftermath of the winter's storms highlighted at Suffolk event
- Defra warns of fresh threat to UK elms
- "Bizarre" weather sees team called out more times in last three months than last 30 years says Kew Garden's Kirkham
- Knoll Gardens owner hopes to save "iconic" Eucalyptus chapmaniana, fallen in recent storms
- Bicton College loses historic monkey puzzle to storms
- Damage to New Forest trees "worse than Great Storm of 1987"
Pest & Disease News
- Welsh Government launches strategy to control Phytophthora ramorum pathogen
- Barcham adopts tree bio-security code
- City of London Corporation backs RHS Chelsea show garden to raise pest awareness
- Expert advises spraying blueberries after studying aggressive dieback
- Disease fuels rise in spending on trees
How To Buy...
Buyers' guide - Woodchippers Arborists, landscapers and grounds-maintenance teams can put chippers to good use, says, Sally Drury.
Buyers' Guide - Blowers and sweepers Sally Drury looks at blowers and sweepers that can be handheld, pushed, vehicle-mounted or towed.
How to buy - Chainsaws The latest models will cover a wide variety of different professional tasks, Sally Drury finds.
How to buy - Hedgetrimmers Sally Drury looks at the options open to users of handheld and tractor-mounted trimmers.
How to buy - Tree guards and shelters Choosing the cheapest products will not always yield the best results for a scheme, Sally Drury warns.
How to buy - Shredders These machines are ideal to reduce green waste and prepare it for composting, says Sally Drury.
With four-wheel drive, diff lock and radio control, this go-anywhere machine is designed to get to work in those intensely awkward situations and allows the operator to stand in a safe and convenient position. It also has a massive 2m sweep, which w...
If you hate the jiggling required by some small pedestrian stump grinders, then you have to try this one. It is well built but, crucially, it has a turntable that makes sweeping the stump a breeze. No operator force is required - and it's got agility...
Powered by a water-cooled 30hp Kubota diese engine, this solidly built machine boasts a sweep of 1.35m - that's more than 4ft - and can grind to a depth of 38cm. We are expecting great things of it. What we learn is the value of selecting the right t...
It is always exciting to have a new brand enter the market. When it is one that is built by an experienced and knowledgeable woodchipper distributor and is based almost entirely on customer research, we expect it to be something special. We are not d...
A commercial-grade tree-trimming attachment, the LimbSaw from Kitt Agri of Bridgwater mounts directly onto the front-end loader of a tractor or skidsteer and connects to the auxiliary hydraulics to enable trimming up to 8ft beyond the reach of the lo...
Part of an introductory launch offer that sees customers offered a ULB80P battery, Excelion 2000 brushcutter and roll-cut head for 1,500 + VAT, the new trimming unit from Pellenc weighs in at just 5.1kg and it comes with a heavy-duty harness. Sold...
Designed for tough vegetation, this new brushcutter from Schiller Grounds Care has a hydrostatic transaxle to give infinitely variable speeds up to 4.2mph forwards and 2.6mph in reverse. The unit is constructed from sevenand 10-gauge welded steel a...
Pulling together its Soil Harmony and Just Saws operations, Charterhouse Turf Machinery has launched a website displaying all its products.
Blowers Schiller Grounds Care has self-propelled the High Performance Vacuum with infinitely variable hydrostatic drive. The Cramer LS 5000 sweeper vac now features a slide-out collection bag and optional gas-conversion kit. Simon Tullett Machinery...
Enabling firewood production from large diameter wood, Ryetec has introduced Contractor splitters in 30, 40, 50 and 80tonne versions to prepare wood for automated processing machinery. The machines can be specified with splitting beds from 1-3m in ...
Ask Sally Drury
Advice fom Horticulture Week's equipment expert
- Are battery chainsaws easier to use than petrol models?
- I am looking for a pedestrian soil shredder - either new or pre-owned. Can you suggest any companies that supply them?
- In an article about stump grinders, you mentioned a machine for use with excavators. Can you tell me how to contact the company?
- My dad needs to replace a long-reach pruning tool by "Standard Manufacturing Co Derby" and "Horticultural General Standard Co Ltd". Do you know whether the companies are still in existence?
- I recently purchased a second hand Warrior CG260A brushcutter, from an internet site and did not get a manual with it. I want to find out if I need to mix petrol and oil.
- Is there a hedgecutter that fits a Kubota STV32?
- I want a blower to clean up after gardening. Any recommendations?
- I want a rough-cut mower or brushcutter for vegetation clearance work, including shrubby material, and have been looking at the Outback 2403. Have you used it?
- When buying a hedgetrimmer online, is it normal practice for the machine to be assembled and tested before despatch? I ask this in case the warranty is invalidated.
- Can you recommend a log splitter?
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Arboricultural Officer Portsmouth City Council Band 08 - £26,539 to £28,922 p.a, Portsmouth, Hampshire
- Experienced Senior Kitchen Gardener (ECG540) Horticruitment Circa £25K DOE, Nr Hoo, Hampshire
- Grounds Maintenance Operative/Supervisor Scofell Landscapes Ltd Salary will be dependent on experience. , Newbury, Berkshire
- HEAD GARDENER - RIVER COTTAGE HQ River Cottage Competitive, Devon / Dorset Border in rural Axminster
- Static Site Foreman/Operatives Anders Plus 18 - 19k, West London
UK Grower Awards 2014: Winners exemplify the finest in production horticulture
NEWS: Garden venues fight back with visitor upturn seen in 2013
GARDEN RETAIL: In-depth profile of Garden Retail Top 100 centre, Garsons in Surrey
MARKET REPORT: Landscape drainage and irrigation
PLANT FOCUS: Bamboo
PEST AND DISEASE FACTSHEET: Sciarid fly