Foliage damage can render some plants unsellable.
News, in-depth reporting and discussion of tree surgery, forestry and arboriculture, including arboricultural contracting, local authority tree officers, consultancy and legal & insurance issues.
Looking for tree surgeon jobs or forestry jobs ? Search horticulturejobs.co.uk
Arboriculture In Depth
Horticultural colleges are finding new ways to attract recruits after fees were forced up for older students, Jack Shamash reports.
Numerous conifer species are potentially at risk.
Saving a few quid on inferior personal protective equipment is a false economy, Sally Drury warns.
Pest And Disease Factsheets
Wet weather has helped this disease to spread.
This wood decay fungus can damage trees internally before any external evidence has been noticed.
The piercing and sucking mouthparts of these pests can lead to market rejections of ornamental crops.
The waxy scales of these pests can protect them from predators and insecticides and damage plant stock.
Beech bark disease is most likely to attack trees with trunks that are more than 20cm in diameter, although it can also be a problem on young plantations. The disease occurs when heavy infestations of beech scale insect (Cryptococcus fagisuga) make e...
- Military medical supplies in use in Surrey parks
- Business rates cap, housing development loans and fuel duty U-turn revealed in Autumn Statement
- Sweet chestnut and plane diseases may be coming into UK
- Commission's regional Forestry and Woodlands Advisory Committees begin business
- Woodlands will recover despite 10m trees lost to storm, says commission
- Busy arborists remain reluctant to train online, survey finds
- Natural England candidate is former Garden Centre Group chair
- Harper Adams Centre for Integrated Pest Management launches
- HW's Sarah Cosgrove scoops award
- Landmark Welwyn beech trees succumb to Kretzschmaria
- So far so good for London plane trees as tree officers find no evidence of plane wilt
- Sales of flail-type cutting attachments banned in Europe
Pest & Disease News
- Disease fuels rise in spending on trees
- BCPC launches latest online edition of Manual of Biocontrol Agents
- Maintain ash dieback vigilance, say experts, despite slower than expected growth in cases
- Oecos develops adult horse chestnut leaf miner trap
- Defra minister praises Amenity Forum's work on sustainable pesticide use
How To Buy...
Buyers' guide - Woodchippers Arborists, landscapers and grounds-maintenance teams can put chippers to good use, says, Sally Drury.
Buyers' Guide - Blowers and sweepers Sally Drury looks at blowers and sweepers that can be handheld, pushed, vehicle-mounted or towed.
How to buy - Chainsaws The latest models will cover a wide variety of different professional tasks, Sally Drury finds.
How to buy - Hedgetrimmers Sally Drury looks at the options open to users of handheld and tractor-mounted trimmers.
How to buy - Tree guards and shelters Choosing the cheapest products will not always yield the best results for a scheme, Sally Drury warns.
How to buy - Shredders These machines are ideal to reduce green waste and prepare it for composting, says Sally Drury.
It is always exciting to have a new brand enter the market. When it is one that is built by an experienced and knowledgeable woodchipper distributor and is based almost entirely on customer research, we expect it to be something special. We are not d...
Watching the 175MX arrive, we are struck by how dinky it is. This is a compact, sub-750kg woodchipper. Yet it looks sturdy, is easily towable and manoeuvrable once off the vehicle. It is easy to see why this is one of Schliesing's best sellers. The ...
Greenmech calls this "the everyday chipper that ticks all the boxes" - and it does. It is the popular 6in size, weighs less than 750kg, is simple to use and costs just 15,450 + VAT. Sub-150kg this may be, but the whole construction is steel except ...
A two-stroke machine of similar design to the Echo and Hyundai, the EH6000W features Makita's Robin engine with a spring-assisted easy-start system.
A commercial-grade tree-trimming attachment, the LimbSaw from Kitt Agri of Bridgwater mounts directly onto the front-end loader of a tractor or skidsteer and connects to the auxiliary hydraulics to enable trimming up to 8ft beyond the reach of the lo...
Part of an introductory launch offer that sees customers offered a ULB80P battery, Excelion 2000 brushcutter and roll-cut head for 1,500 + VAT, the new trimming unit from Pellenc weighs in at just 5.1kg and it comes with a heavy-duty harness. Sold...
Designed for tough vegetation, this new brushcutter from Schiller Grounds Care has a hydrostatic transaxle to give infinitely variable speeds up to 4.2mph forwards and 2.6mph in reverse. The unit is constructed from sevenand 10-gauge welded steel a...
Pulling together its Soil Harmony and Just Saws operations, Charterhouse Turf Machinery has launched a website displaying all its products.
Blowers Schiller Grounds Care has self-propelled the High Performance Vacuum with infinitely variable hydrostatic drive. The Cramer LS 5000 sweeper vac now features a slide-out collection bag and optional gas-conversion kit. Simon Tullett Machinery...
Enabling firewood production from large diameter wood, Ryetec has introduced Contractor splitters in 30, 40, 50 and 80tonne versions to prepare wood for automated processing machinery. The machines can be specified with splitting beds from 1-3m in ...
Ask Sally Drury
Advice fom Horticulture Week's equipment expert
- Are battery chainsaws easier to use than petrol models?
- I am looking for a pedestrian soil shredder - either new or pre-owned. Can you suggest any companies that supply them?
- In an article about stump grinders, you mentioned a machine for use with excavators. Can you tell me how to contact the company?
- My dad needs to replace a long-reach pruning tool by "Standard Manufacturing Co Derby" and "Horticultural General Standard Co Ltd". Do you know whether the companies are still in existence?
- I recently purchased a second hand Warrior CG260A brushcutter, from an internet site and did not get a manual with it. I want to find out if I need to mix petrol and oil.
- Is there a hedgecutter that fits a Kubota STV32?
- I want a blower to clean up after gardening. Any recommendations?
- I want a rough-cut mower or brushcutter for vegetation clearance work, including shrubby material, and have been looking at the Outback 2403. Have you used it?
- When buying a hedgetrimmer online, is it normal practice for the machine to be assembled and tested before despatch? I ask this in case the warranty is invalidated.
- Can you recommend a log splitter?
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- LANDSCAPE CONTRACTS MANAGER Cotsolds Estate & Gardens LTD Competitive Salary., Cotswolds
- Lecturer in Horticulture Hadlow College £23,278 to £31,375 per annum (pro rata), Hadlow, Kent
- Tree Officer South Cambridgeshire District Council £27,224 - £31,661, South Cambridgeshire
- Hard Landscape Foreman (20350) Anders Plus 28 0 30k negotiable, Surrey
- National Account Manager MorePeople £40000 - £50000 per annum, East Midlands
Garden Retail Awards 2013 - Find out all about the winners in our special supplement
TURF SEED AND CONSUMABLES: STRI trials latest products, machinery and techniques
PLANT FOCUS: Pseudopanax