Numerous conifer species are potentially at risk.
News, in-depth reporting and discussion of tree surgery, forestry and arboriculture, including arboricultural contracting, local authority tree officers, consultancy and legal & insurance issues.
Looking for tree surgeon jobs or forestry jobs ? Search horticulturejobs.co.uk
Arboriculture In Depth
Your employees can help you to differentiate from your competition in a positive way, says Neville Stein.
Cankers in nursery stock species are characterised by the death of cambium tissue of woody stems, branches or twigs, causing them to sink in.
Organisations that can respond well to crises are more likely to succeed, says Ben Hurley.
Pest And Disease Factsheets
Foliage damage can render some plants unsellable.
Wet weather has helped this disease to spread.
This wood decay fungus can damage trees internally before any external evidence has been noticed.
The piercing and sucking mouthparts of these pests can lead to market rejections of ornamental crops.
The waxy scales of these pests can protect them from predators and insecticides and damage plant stock.
- Capital projects show centrality of landscape, tree seminar hears
- Researchers calculate economic value of urban trees and green space
- Expert laments housing associations' tree management
- New plant health officer hears of Northern Ireland's work on exotic tree pests
- Garden cities charity TCPA welcomes Government prospectus
- Petition against cuts draws worldwide support for Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
- Professional's help sought on building up "tree trails" network
- iTree can flag up problems in urban tree population, event hears
- Gristwood & Toms tools up for OPM battle with new sprayers
- Council protects mature plane tree from development loss following residents' campaign
- Safety fears offset tree benefits
- Tree survey commissioned
Pest & Disease News
- EU invasive species Bill put forward for a vote in two weeks
- New £7m research package to tackle tree pests and diseases
- MPs attack short-term policy on tree pests and diseases
- Just three per cent of Wales' Phytophthora-infected larch felled
- Welsh Government launches strategy to control Phytophthora ramorum pathogen
How To Buy...
Buyers' guide - Brushcutters The terrain and nature of the job will dictate which machine you should be using, Sally Drury explains.
Buyers' guide - Woodchippers Arborists, landscapers and grounds-maintenance teams can put chippers to good use, says, Sally Drury.
Buyers' Guide - Blowers and sweepers Sally Drury looks at blowers and sweepers that can be handheld, pushed, vehicle-mounted or towed.
How to buy - Chainsaws The latest models will cover a wide variety of different professional tasks, Sally Drury finds.
How to buy - Hedgetrimmers Sally Drury looks at the options open to users of handheld and tractor-mounted trimmers.
How to buy - Tree guards and shelters Choosing the cheapest products will not always yield the best results for a scheme, Sally Drury warns.
With four-wheel drive, diff lock and radio control, this go-anywhere machine is designed to get to work in those intensely awkward situations and allows the operator to stand in a safe and convenient position. It also has a massive 2m sweep, which w...
If you hate the jiggling required by some small pedestrian stump grinders, then you have to try this one. It is well built but, crucially, it has a turntable that makes sweeping the stump a breeze. No operator force is required - and it's got agility...
Powered by a water-cooled 30hp Kubota diese engine, this solidly built machine boasts a sweep of 1.35m - that's more than 4ft - and can grind to a depth of 38cm. We are expecting great things of it. What we learn is the value of selecting the right t...
It is always exciting to have a new brand enter the market. When it is one that is built by an experienced and knowledgeable woodchipper distributor and is based almost entirely on customer research, we expect it to be something special. We are not d...
Providing Bomford arm mower owners with alternative uses outside the hedge-cutting season, the Pro Drill Head can be used to power either a range of post-hole borers or a tree stump planer. A heavy-duty hydraulic motor can be used at oil flow rates ...
A commercial-grade tree-trimming attachment, the LimbSaw from Kitt Agri of Bridgwater mounts directly onto the front-end loader of a tractor or skidsteer and connects to the auxiliary hydraulics to enable trimming up to 8ft beyond the reach of the lo...
Part of an introductory launch offer that sees customers offered a ULB80P battery, Excelion 2000 brushcutter and roll-cut head for 1,500 + VAT, the new trimming unit from Pellenc weighs in at just 5.1kg and it comes with a heavy-duty harness. Sold...
Designed for tough vegetation, this new brushcutter from Schiller Grounds Care has a hydrostatic transaxle to give infinitely variable speeds up to 4.2mph forwards and 2.6mph in reverse. The unit is constructed from sevenand 10-gauge welded steel a...
Pulling together its Soil Harmony and Just Saws operations, Charterhouse Turf Machinery has launched a website displaying all its products.
Blowers Schiller Grounds Care has self-propelled the High Performance Vacuum with infinitely variable hydrostatic drive. The Cramer LS 5000 sweeper vac now features a slide-out collection bag and optional gas-conversion kit. Simon Tullett Machinery...
Ask Sally Drury
Advice fom Horticulture Week's equipment expert
- Are battery chainsaws easier to use than petrol models?
- I am looking for a pedestrian soil shredder - either new or pre-owned. Can you suggest any companies that supply them?
- In an article about stump grinders, you mentioned a machine for use with excavators. Can you tell me how to contact the company?
- My dad needs to replace a long-reach pruning tool by "Standard Manufacturing Co Derby" and "Horticultural General Standard Co Ltd". Do you know whether the companies are still in existence?
- I recently purchased a second hand Warrior CG260A brushcutter, from an internet site and did not get a manual with it. I want to find out if I need to mix petrol and oil.
- Is there a hedgecutter that fits a Kubota STV32?
- I want a blower to clean up after gardening. Any recommendations?
- I want a rough-cut mower or brushcutter for vegetation clearance work, including shrubby material, and have been looking at the Outback 2403. Have you used it?
- When buying a hedgetrimmer online, is it normal practice for the machine to be assembled and tested before despatch? I ask this in case the warranty is invalidated.
- Can you recommend a log splitter?
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Horticulturalist Gardener, Borders Grosvenor Estate Competitive salary plus benefits , Chester, Cheshire / Eccleston, Cheshire
- Pet and Aquatics Supervisor MorePeople £16000 - £18000 per annum, Norfolk
- Sweeper Driver The Landscape Group Paying London Living Wage (£8.80 per hour) and upwards dependent on experience), London (Greater)
- Tractor Driver The Landscape Group Paying London Living Wage (£8.80 per hour) and upwards dependent on experience, London (Greater)
- Grounds Maintenance and Cleansing Operatives (Permanent and Seasonal) The Landscape Group Paying London Living Wage (£8.80 per hour), London (Greater)
NEWS: Garden centres look forward to late Easter sales bonanza
SARGENT'S SOLUTIONS: Why the Customer Rights Bill should be seen as an opportunity rather than a threat
MARKET REPORT: Glasshouses
LANDSCAPE ANALYSIS: Government prospectus offers potential boost across disciplines
EDIBLES: Helping cut food waste - latest packaging addresses concerns over waste issues
PLANT FOCUS: Polygonatum