Cankers in nursery stock species are characterised by the death of cambium tissue of woody stems, branches or twigs, causing them to sink in.
News, in-depth reporting and discussion of tree surgery, forestry and arboriculture, including arboricultural contracting, local authority tree officers, consultancy and legal & insurance issues.
Looking for tree surgeon jobs or forestry jobs ? Search horticulturejobs.co.uk
Arboriculture In Depth
Major Government changes to apprenticeships put employers in the driving seat. Is horticulture ready? Jez Abbott finds out.
Three of the top brands submit saws for testing in the Wild Wood at Derby College, Sally Drury reports.
Coming up through the ranks, the YoungHorts tell Sarah Cosgrove why they want to work in the industry.
Pest And Disease Factsheets
Numerous conifer species are potentially at risk.
Foliage damage can render some plants unsellable.
Ash dieback is caused primarily by the fungal disease Chalara fraxinea. The number of infected trees in Europe has risen over the past few years, partly due to wet summer weather. Affected trees have been found in parks, gardens, garden centres, fore...
This wood decay fungus can damage trees internally before any external evidence has been noticed.
The piercing and sucking mouthparts of these pests can lead to market rejections of ornamental crops.
- UK's largest Huntingdon elm felled over safety fears
- Summer branch drop warnings wanted
- Inquest report expected to be of wider national interest
- Sue Ireland warns of crisis in recruitment and retention of women in horticulture
- Deer have role in maintaining woodland plant diversity, say Irish researchers
- Monitoring of potentially damaging pine moth to be stepped up
- London tree officers elect new chairman
- Extent of ash dieback problem in Northern Ireland revealed
- Defra urges public to act to protect bees in run up to publication of pollinator strategy
- Event will explain multiple benefits of trees on farms
- Felling of diseased Welsh larch forest creates "unexpected opportunity"
- Arboriculture job secured
How To Buy...
Buyers' guide - Chainsaws Your experience and training are key factors when it comes to choosing a chainsaw, Sally Drury explains.
Buyers' guide - Brushcutters The terrain and nature of the job will dictate which machine you should be using, Sally Drury explains.
Buyers' guide - Woodchippers Arborists, landscapers and grounds-maintenance teams can put chippers to good use, says, Sally Drury.
Buyers' Guide - Blowers and sweepers Sally Drury looks at blowers and sweepers that can be handheld, pushed, vehicle-mounted or towed.
How to buy - Chainsaws The latest models will cover a wide variety of different professional tasks, Sally Drury finds.
How to buy - Hedgetrimmers Sally Drury looks at the options open to users of handheld and tractor-mounted trimmers.
A replacement for Echo's CS-610, the new 620SX professional chainsaw has the same size engine (59.8cc) but it is a premium-grade engine and delivers an additional 320W. As a result, this saw has the cutting performance of higher-capacity machines, ...
A professional saw ideal for felling, the CS-550 features a powerful 54.1cc long-stroke engine with remarkable torque. Features include clutch-related oil pump, side-adjust chain tensioner, a newly designed air-cleaner system with a split back plate ...
Hunt associates Makita with power drills and builders' tools, so what will he make of its range of chainsaws? The company has done much in recent years to challenge the top two brands - and that is in all categories. The EA3500S is classified as a ...
A brand new, full professional machine, built from the ground up, Makita's 61cc 6100P features easy start, the "like it very much" dab-stop switch, metal chassis, adjustable oil, full AV and metal chain catcher. This saw has a two-stroke engine but...
Launched at ScotPlant in April, the Hinowa Traxporter TX2500 has a swivel skip that can carry up to 2,500kg and be operated while the vehicle is in motion. It also benefits from a 180 degs rotating seat and controls, so the operator can always face t...
With high tipping container of 4.2sq m capacity, the Votex VT420 compact vacuum sweeper is available in the UK from Campey Turf Care Systems.
Providing Bomford arm mower owners with alternative uses outside the hedge-cutting season, the Pro Drill Head can be used to power either a range of post-hole borers or a tree stump planer. A heavy-duty hydraulic motor can be used at oil flow rates ...
A commercial-grade tree-trimming attachment, the LimbSaw from Kitt Agri of Bridgwater mounts directly onto the front-end loader of a tractor or skidsteer and connects to the auxiliary hydraulics to enable trimming up to 8ft beyond the reach of the lo...
Part of an introductory launch offer that sees customers offered a ULB80P battery, Excelion 2000 brushcutter and roll-cut head for 1,500 + VAT, the new trimming unit from Pellenc weighs in at just 5.1kg and it comes with a heavy-duty harness. Sold...
Designed for tough vegetation, this new brushcutter from Schiller Grounds Care has a hydrostatic transaxle to give infinitely variable speeds up to 4.2mph forwards and 2.6mph in reverse. The unit is constructed from sevenand 10-gauge welded steel a...
Ask Sally Drury
Advice fom Horticulture Week's equipment expert
- Are there any wheeled brushcutters that you could recommend to reduce the amount of undergrowth at the edge of woodland rides? Estate manager, Warwickshire.
- Are battery chainsaws easier to use than petrol models?
- I am looking for a pedestrian soil shredder - either new or pre-owned. Can you suggest any companies that supply them?
- In an article about stump grinders, you mentioned a machine for use with excavators. Can you tell me how to contact the company?
- My dad needs to replace a long-reach pruning tool by "Standard Manufacturing Co Derby" and "Horticultural General Standard Co Ltd". Do you know whether the companies are still in existence?
- I recently purchased a second hand Warrior CG260A brushcutter, from an internet site and did not get a manual with it. I want to find out if I need to mix petrol and oil.
- Is there a hedgecutter that fits a Kubota STV32?
- I want a blower to clean up after gardening. Any recommendations?
- I want a rough-cut mower or brushcutter for vegetation clearance work, including shrubby material, and have been looking at the Outback 2403. Have you used it?
- When buying a hedgetrimmer online, is it normal practice for the machine to be assembled and tested before despatch? I ask this in case the warranty is invalidated.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Contract Supervisor Lowther Forestry Group Ltd Attractive salary, vehicle and benefits package, South East England / South West England
- Nursery Supervisor Griffin Nurseries 20-25k, Hampshire / Liphook, Hampshire
- Landscape Construction Manager Ground Control Competitive salary + semi-annual bonuses + share options, South East England / East Sussex / Hampshire / Surrey / West Sussex
- Graduate Trainee: Seed Research, Procurement and Processing Maelor Forest Nurseries Ltd £18,000 per annum, Whitchurch, Shropshire
- Landscape Architect The Royal Parks Grade II - £24,570 - £29,942 per annum , London (Central), London (Greater)
NEWS: Gardeners’ wages likely to be raised by RHS in benchmark exercise
GARDEN RETAIL TOP 100 PROFILE: How Coolings in Kent has built up its reputation
PLANT FOCUS: Ligularia
PEST & DISEASE FACTSHEET: Spider mites
UK GROWER AWARDS 2015: Entries now open