The London-based landscape architecture practice won the contract in a design competition alongside architects AHMM.
The Met has now moved into its new £60 million headquarters, a re-modelling and extension of the neo-classical Curtis Green Building which formed part of the Met's headquarters between 1890 and 1967, into a contemporary setting for the force.
Before 1890, the force's original location was at 4 Whitehall Place, which had a rear entrance onto Great Scotland Yard, which became the public entrance, and gave the headquarters its name.
Gillespies was asked to open up the existing enclosed space to create a bold public face for the client. It has designed a landscaped civic space, home to the Met’s famous revolving Scotland Yard sign, characterised by a natural stone ‘carpet’ that references the distinctive striped brickwork of Norman Shaw’s adjacent North building. Gillespies used porphyry (natural stone) sourced from Hardscape.
"The space provides an inviting and peaceful landscape that acts as a buffer between the public and private realms," Gillespies said.
The paving continues beneath the glass pavilion, extending the conceptual square to the south.
The main contractor on the project was BAM.
Gillespies also designed new public realm for the second phase of the Stockport Exchange regeneration project
It is also a member of one of four UK-led teams shortlisted in the design competition for the new £25m Ross Pavilion and Gardens project in Edinburgh. There are nine teams overall and their designs are due to form a public exhibition in Edinburgh and online from mid-June, with a decision expected in August.