Last year several children were reported to have sustained injuries after coming into contact with the invasive weed in the UK.
Now, with young more likely to come into contact with the plant during the summer holidays, the Property Care Association is urging caution because Giant Hogweed sap is toxic to the skin and causes blistering in sunlight.
Professor Max Wade, chairman of the PCA’s Invasive Weed Control Group said: "The mix of warm weather coupled with the fact this invasive non-native plant is spreading across a wider area means that people – in particular children - are more likely to come into contact with Giant Hogweed.
"Each plant can produce up to 50,000 seeds which can survive in the soil for a number of years and Giant Hogweed is capable of growing to a height of up to 5 metres.
"The chemical in the plant, a furanocoumarin, needs bright light to react with the skin and causes blistering and other health problems, so this is the time of year when problems can ensue.
"The general public, as well as local authorities, statutory agencies and landowners on whose property people can come into contact with the plant, should be aware of the risks and Giant Hogweed needs to be controlled and managed professionally."
The PCA’s Invasive Weed Control Group has produced a Guidance Note on "Managing Giant Hogweed" (http://alturl.com/r5ska). The PCA also provides a means of identifying specialist contractors and consultants with the expertise to control and manage invasive species such as Giant Hogweed, as well as other plants such as Japanese knotweed.