With estate agency Barnard Marcus, the HTA has published the First Impressions guide to offer gardeners garden designs, planting ideas and maintenance advice.
The ICM Omnibus survey of 532 UK estate agents revealed:
- 97 per cent of estate agents agreed that a well-maintained front garden can help a property seem more appealing to prospective buyers;
- Half said a well-presented front garden is extremely important when it comes to selling a property;
- 78 per cent said that the front garden forms part of their sales pitch;
- 35 per cent agreed that the appearance of the front garden is key to clinching an offer;
- 47 per cent believed that most people in the UK do not make the most of their front gardens;
- 58 per cent agreed that planting flowers and shrubs would increase the perceived value of a property;
- 67 per cent agreed that hedging and trees improve a home's selling power, by improving security and privacy;
- 59 per cent agreed a front garden can improve the value of a property, depending on its state.