Garden Centre Association most improved sales in garden centres awards have gone to Fron Goch in Caernarfon (up 21 per cent), Barton Grange in Preston (19 per cent) and Grosvenor in Chester (14 per cent). Consultant Chris Brown of Turpin Smale said his top seven tips to improve cafe turnover were:
- Invest in new, large facilities.
- Servery design that busts queues.
- Respond to bakery cafe trend to encourage mid-morning, lunchtime and mid-afternoon spend.
- Good food - the heart of catering.
- "Buy with your eyes" approach to food presentation.
- Great retailing skills being transferred to catering areas.
- Management who have taken the time to study the market and visit the latest examples of best practice.