The semifinal of the competition, which is run by the Association of Professional Landscapers, gave students 18 hours over three days to build a 6m x 2m garden. They were tested on the quality and attention to detail of their timber, brick and planting work by judges Jody Lidgard and Simon Abbott, with verification from APL national account manager Phil Tremayne.
The six highest-scoring students, progressing to the NEC for the national final, are:
· Will Burberry, Gardenscapes
· Mark Chapelhow, Wildroof Landscapes
· Anthony Doran, The Landscape Co.
· Christopher Shore, Reaseheath College
· Noel Taggart Greenmount Campus, CAFRE
· Aaron Quin, Greenmount Campus, CAFRE
Burberry, who was the overall winner of the semi-final, said he was "thrilled" with the result but needed to work more on time-planning and focus on planting for the final.
The final of the WorldSkills UK Landscape Gardening competition will be held at the Birmingham NEC on 19 - 21 November.