English Apples & Pears flags up big opportuntities for growers

Top fruit growers could bump up yields by almost a third, but must not squander the chance to profit from rising demand and tough government targets for production.

Adrian Barlow, chief executive of English Apples & Pears, said the upsurge in consumer demand and Government calls for UK horticultural production to rise by 20% to 25%  threw up "enormous opportunities".

He told an East Malling Research (EMR) conference last week that the industry had to pinpoint what was hampering production. Growers must look at profitability, consumer wants - "hard and crunchy verses juicy melt-in-the-mouth pears" - economical pest and disease control, management and production costs, especially labour.

"But we have an opportunity to increase sales in various regions across the UK," he told the Pear Growing for the Future conference. "I suspect London and the South East is quite strong and the north and Midlands relatively weak by comparison.

"The UK holds fewer than 20% of UK sales. We can't recover the other 80%t because of southern hemisphere imports. But if we could supply for eight months a year we could more than double - and approach a tripling - of our existing output.

"There's an enormous opportunity and we don't have to worry about expanding the market - that can happen later. But we could achieve a larger share of the total market. There's a huge opportunity to increase consumption, market share and profitability."

The UK market for pears last season was 160,000 tonnes, most of them fresh, with 30,000 tonnes used for juices and processing. Conference pears amounted to nearly half of all sales.

Farm Advisory Service Team managing director Tim Biddlecombe said more than 80% of the country's orchards were over 20 years old - the soil was worn out and lacked irrigation. But he added that careful growth control could improve productivity.

"If you irrigate, improve nutrients, add compost, improve soil structure and get the pruning right you can increase yields by 25% to 30% and improve the shape and size of fruit. Good growth control is a pointer for improving soils for English pears," said Biddlecombe.

EMR chairman Oliver Doubleday, pointed out that pear growing suffered from "lack of precocity, slightly disappointing yields and quality issues". He added that there was no point producing fruit "if you can't sell it to its maximum advantage".


Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus

Read These Next

What does the Butters buyout mean for horticulture?

What does the Butters buyout mean for horticulture?

Mass market flowers and plants supplier and grower the Butters Group has sold out to cut flowers and fresh-produce importer Flamingo to create a near quarter-of-a-billion-pound turnover business.

What challenges and opportunities lie in store for tomato growers?

What challenges and opportunities lie in store for tomato growers?

The British Tomato Growers Association (TGA) conference heard a range of perspectives on what changes lie in store for the sector and how to anticipate them.

Buoyant demand for UK apples but frost and labour remain concerns

Buoyant demand for UK apples but frost and labour remain concerns

As the British apple season begins, English Apples & Pears (EAP) is warning that growers will feel the effects of both a late frost in spring and also constrained labour supply.


Follow us on:
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • Google +
Horticulture Jobs
More Horticulture Jobs

Pest & Disease Tracker bulletin 

The latest pest and disease alerts, how to treat them, plus EAMU updates, sent direct to your inbox.

Sign up here

Professor Geoffrey Dixon

GreenGene International chair Geoff Dixon on the business of fresh produce production
 

Read Professor Geoffrey Dixon