The Open Day will feature:
- Going Underground: Visit East Malling’s fascinating root laboratory.
- Plant Clinic: bring along your pest-infected or diseased parts of your fruit plants to have them expertly identified by our skilled team of scientists.
- Kids’ activities: learn how insects smell with an interactive game.
- DNA: See how easy it is to extract DNA from plant material, with timed demonstrations at 10.30, 13.30 and 3pm.
- 1913 Lab: See a replica of a lab set in 1913 – the year East Malling was founded.
- A complete tree, with its roots, from the recent award-winning stand at the Chelsea Flower Show
- Plant breeding: see how plant breeders produce new varieties
- Mushrooms: view some studies on mushrooms
- Tractor tours, self-guided walking tours and escorted laboratory tours.
East Malling Research is nestled in the village of East Malling three miles west of Maidstone, Kent. Admission (cash only): Adults £3.00, Under 16’s £1.00, Concessions £2.50, family ticket £8.