The deadline for submitting views on the plans, which include four main changes, is 19 February.
The consultation paper, Tree Preservation Orders: Improving Procedures, outlines revisions to the Town & Country Planning (Trees) Regulations 1999.
The main amendments are:
- the introduction of a standard form for all applications to fell or prune trees protected by a TPO;
- appeals against local planning authority decisions in relation to TPOs would be determined on the basis of the information and evidence considered by the authority, together with a visit to the site;
- the transfer of TPO appeals administration from the nine Government Offices for the Regions to the Planning Inspectorate;
- revised requirements on local planning authorities regarding the circulation of newly made TPOs - copies would be sent only to the owners and occupiers of the land where the trees are situated.
- See www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/tpoconsultation for the paper. Responses can be emailed to email@example.com.