Forestry and Woodlands Advisory Committees (FWACs) take over from the Forestry Commission England's Regional Advisory Committees from the start of this month, with a revised remit to pursue woodland and forestry policy regionally.
Explaining their role, Forestry Commission England director Ian Gambles said: "These local champions for forests and woodlands will be key to building vital local networks and partnerships across Local Enterprise Partnerships, landowners, timber processors, local authorities and NGOs."
FWAC members are appointed as individual advisory experts, with the role of developing the sector, including urban forestry, alongside wider nature and economic interests.
The nine FWAC chairs have a term of office of three years. Currently they are:
- North East: Canon Graham Usher
- North West: Iain Taylor
- Yorkshire & The Humber: Sian Ferguson
- West Midlands: Professor John Moverley
- East Midlands: Dr Hilary Allison
- East England: Jane Rabagliati
- South West: Dr Mike Moser
- South East: Dougal Driver
- London: Jane Carlson