Drawing on the sequined outfits of carnival dancers, the campaign suggests promoting the whispy blooms and bare branches of Hamamelis.
Suggested varieties for promotion include:
- Hamamelis x intermedia is a great species for fragrant late winter flowers. It is a medium-large shrub that can reach up to 4m in height and spread at maturity
- ‘Allgold’ is always popular with its yellow flowers, as is ‘Arnold Promise’, with its large yellow flowers
- ‘Pallida’ and ‘Sunburst’ are also good choices
- ‘Sunburst’ is the perfect choice if space is limited as it is more compact at growing to 2.5m
- Hamamelis mollis (Chinese witch hazel) bears very fragrant yellow flowers
- Hamamelis vernalis (Ozark witch hazel) bears flowers in a range of colours from yellow through orange to red-tinged.
For more details on basic planting information and the campaign’s fascinating facts tool, log on to www.colour-your-life.co.uk.
Subscribe to Horticulture Week for more news, more in-depth features and more technical and market info.